Oil drain plugs stuck - help!

AirsoftNY

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've been trying for a couple of weeks to get the oil drain bolts out, I'm at my wits end. They are completely stuck. This is my first oil change so I don't know what the PO did to get them in there so good.

I've tried my impact driver and a breaker bar. I'm using a 27mm socket. I've put a ton of penetrating fluid on it. I've tried heating it with a torch (it's freezing in my garage). I don't want to crack the case or damage the threads, is there a trick to getting these out? I'd be happy to get even one of them out.

thanks!

Aaron

The one on the sump plate can be removed if you take the plate off and hold it in a vise. Suggest you use some jaw pad's so you do not damage the gasket area on the sump plate. On the one in the rear of the engine, I had to use a pipe on my breaker bar to get it loose the first time I changed the oil. I don't recommend that for the drain on the sump because you could break off the little 6 mm bolt's, then you would be in a world of hurt. Doe's the engine run? If yes,get it all warmed up before you try .

I'd be happy to get even one of them out.

The one in front is usually easier to get out, from what I read, and it's the only one you really need to get out to drain the oil, since little oil comes out the rear once it's been drained using the front one.

The front one is mounted on a plate that's held on by a number of small bolts. I would take that plate off. That will also let you examime the filter, which is likely busted.

Getting the drain bolt out with the plate off the bike might be easier. I would take it to my neighborhood mechanic and make him use his air wrench on it.

A six point 27mm 3/4 drive lay the bike on it's side and stomp the 2' 3/4 breaker bar. haven't sheared the sump plate out of one yet. Never hurts to switch directions and try to tighten it either. Any movement is a good thing. This is one of those a sharp smack is better than a whole bunch of steady pressure. If you have two people one puts pressure on the breaker bar the other smacks it with a hammer.

lay the bike on it's side get out the angle grinder and make a new hex that fits a socket you have. Or weld a bar or crappy socket on it! by the time you are done welding, the heat will probably have loosened it.

^ I've done something similar. Had to weld coupling nuts to rounded off bolt heads to create something new to grab onto.

i don't have access to a welder at my home, but I will grind a new hex for now. honestly never thought about welding a bar or something to it, what a great idea

The one on the sump plate can be removed if you take the plate off and hold it in a vise. Suggest you use some jaw pad's so you do not damage the gasket area on the sump plate.

Gordon,

This did the trick! Thanks a lot everyone. Now back to cleaning oil the oil off my workbench...

Back