Oil in Starter, Stripped Screw Head, Rebuild or Replace?

dmorano

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My starter quit working, so after trying to get it to work by directly hooking 12V jumper cables and failing, I drained the oil took the starter off. I again tried it with jumper cables and after fiddling with it got it to spin.

Trying to get the thing apart one of the long screw head stripped so now I gotta replace that. And a small amount of oil is in it. I guess the front oil seals failed. Noticed on eBay a starter rebuild kit that looks pretty comprehensive for $28.

Three questions, 1) try to find the screw and buy the rebuild kit 2) where in the world am I gonna find that long screw, or 3) just buy a new starter?

Kick starting is always an option, that's what I have been doing for months now, but I do like the redundancy and electric definitely helps when the bike is cold.

Any advice on this issue would be appreciated, thanks.

dmorano,

Well, the same thing happened to me with that long screw. I drilled and tapped the threaded end of the motor for an American thread, like, 10-32? and bought some threaded rod at my local Home Depot. Cut the threaded rod to length and screwed it into the threaded end of the motor and used a nut on the outside end.

Clean out the oil and get new seals and you are back in business.

post looking for the bolt in the classies here. Some member will be happy to uh well you know...

Back