Old school bobber built from UK

burgs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All.
I thought I would share the build photos of my latest project...
Its an 82 Heritage. I stripped it down to the frame and have been rebuilding it over the winter. Its nearly there. Maybe a couple of weekends and it will be ready for the spring.
I am a undecided which way to go on the electrics tho , so any tips or advice is most welcome.
I have gone for a matt and gloss black/ polished and matt metal look. I wanted to get the bike looking as old as I could.
The engine is stock apoart from 4th oversize pistons and a rebore.
I rebuilt both wheels with fat spokes and added a fatter front rim to take the firestones.
Powdercoated the hubs and polished the rear drum.
I have switched to 1 inch bars but going to run a single dics off a harley v rod mater cyliners. The light will be a bates 4.5 inch powercoated matt black.

Attachments

• Burgs xs 1.jpg
    Burgs xs 1.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 300
  • Burgs xs 2.jpg
    Burgs xs 2.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 336
  • burgs xs3.jpg
    burgs xs3.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 292
  • burgs xs 4.jpg
    burgs xs 4.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 276
So if anyone hass any hot tips on custom wiring I'd be really grateful. I have taken out the electic start and will fit the ignition into the aluminium side panels when they are done.
So the throttle side of the bars wont have any switch gear at all. I have a small bras switch to drill into the LHS of the bars with an off on on for the lights and an on off on for the inidicators.
At present I am trying to modify the stock loom to fit in the very small headlight... Not easy. Has anyone reworked the loom to fit under the battery with a smaller battery?
Any ideas welcome. Thanks for looking.

I haven't rewired my bike, just removed all of the safety relays and switches, but without the starter you can run a much smaller battery. I have a small gel battery that can be mounted anywhere any direction.

Bike looks great!

Thanks Dogger.
Yes I am reckoning on maybe a gel battery and the try to fit the loom underneath. I am even wondering if I can ditch the battery box altogether, or maybe modify it. would make the side panels fit flusher too...Where is your loom mounted? In the headlamp? I guess its fits in a smaller space without the relays etc...

Thanks. I changed my mind a few times before I decided to re-lace the original hub, because i was worried there were too many spokes on the Heritage front wheel to make the bike look as old as I wanted.
I started out with a sportster front wheel ( 19inch) with a coker diamond tyre.
I loved the tyre ( see pic) but felt the bike looked too mix and match. I also decided to swap the original tank for the one you see in the first lot of pics, and ditched the flames idea instead of black...Also i couldnt get a black hub on the sportster wheel without dismantling it. So I decided to relace tho original hub and try the spoke pattern you see in the pics, with firestones front and back. I still reckon its a few too many spokes but its looking better than the original wheel by far ( I hope), and looks more like a complete bike than with the Sporty front. I did like the dirt drack look of that coker tho...Next time hey...
Thanks for the comments guys.

Attachments

• burgs xs 6 Coker front.jpg
    burgs xs 6 Coker front.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 238
Look under TECH at the top of the page. Under Electrical you will find a thread on wiring diagrams. Find one that has the parts you want to use and wire accordingly.

looks killer. i am doing a similar thing with all the black powdercoat but i stuck a hardtail on my project. Show us some photos when your finished outside the garage.

Leo.
Thanks for the heads up o the electrical dept. I folloed the first thread to your comments but couldnt yet locate the electrical diags...Am I being dumb? thanks

burgs
welcome, always good to have another Brit on board :thumbsup:
Try this for a link to those electrical diagrams HERE that XSLeo mentioned
Cheers Kev

Nice! Those H.S. spoke wheels are almost as rare as the '81 rear drum mag, and with the new spokes in there I can see why they're highly desired by some.
Looking forward to some outside pics when yer finished.

I personally would start with a new battery box altogether, I have a pic of a really nice one on my computer but am unable to post it - keeps saying invalid file.

The fabber used the original rubber mounts. He welded 2 pieces of steel pipe into the back wall which would slide right over the rubbers, did the same at the front but welded small bits of flat steel to them so they could bolt on to the box. It's just deep enough for the battery, there's also room for iggy switch and fuses. I would probably bolt the reg/rec to the bottom side ( out of site and exposed to air flow). Once things warm up I am going to borrow the old man's welder and have a go at it. Once it's done I'm planning on not running any sidecovers at all.

Thanks guys. Cheers Kev for the heads up on the wiring diags.
And Dogger for the tips on battery box etc.
Unfortunately when I was prepping the frame I chopped the mounts for the original side panels, so was going to mount the new ali ones to the battery box. But I could drill the frame and attach brackets there. I do have the mounting points for the battery box still intact.
Shame you cant post that pic. Did you try saving it as a downsized jpeg. I had to do that before I could paste my pics.
I was planning to do something like this ( see pic) with the side panels...which will still leave the battery box slightly visible.

I was messing about with pinstriping last night. Wondered if anyones got any suggestions or feedback. I was originally going to leave it Antique black with no detaling, but I cant decide if it leaves the bike too plain.
Here's a pic of some gold red gold pinstrip down one side. Appologies for the poor quality.
What do folks think. I want to keep the bike looking really old and I worry that too much paint detail may make it look more modern. Ideas / suggestions.

Back