Only running on one cylinder.

Boosgarage

XS650 Member
Reaction score
1979 bs38. Carbs are clean, have spark, have compression, using k&n pod filters. Left cylinder not running just pops out the exhaust and carb boot. Any advice would be great.

I have not. That will be my next step. It was running on both cylinders a couple days ago. It sat for one night then problem started. I'll check valve and timing, and update you thanks

I have not. That will be my next step. It was running on both cylinders a couple days ago. It sat for one night then problem started. I'll check valve and timing, and update you thanks

If you stare at the points (located on the LH end of the camshaft), it is important to note that, to a certain extent, the two cylinders are timed independently.

By that I mean that the points for one cylinder are mounted on a points plate which can be advanced or retarded and that points plate is mounted on ANOTHER points plate for the other cylinder - and that plate can also be advanced or retarded.

Yeah - it sounds dumb for a 360 degree twin - but there ya go.

My advice is to get a test light or a multimeter with a buzzer setting and turn the engine slowly which connected to EACH set of points (one at a time) and watch/listen for the points to open while watching the timing marks on the crankshaft-mounted alternator rotor.

Pete

Last edited:
If it was me I would check the battery and charging Voltage
If that checks out I would watch how it looks at the Points if it is sparking at all the same way on both
I believe it is the Point having problems unless you are certain there is spark on both plugs
held against the cylinder head--- please do the read up how that is checked

Ok new update, sorry to mention I'm running Mike's xs charge pma system. I used a timing light and I'm dead on. Bike was running on two cylinders after I adjusted the timing. But now it's only running right cylinder. I cleaned the carbs again but nothing. It backfires out left carb manifold and tail pipe. I believe it's getting enough fuel because the plug is wet. Any advice would be appreciated thank you

Ok new update, sorry to mention I'm running Mike's xs charge pma system. I used a timing light and I'm dead on. Bike was running on two cylinders after I adjusted the timing. But now it's only running right cylinder. I cleaned the carbs again but nothing. It backfires out left carb manifold and tail pipe. I believe it's getting enough fuel because the plug is wet. Any advice would be appreciated thank you
What battery is it? Have you verified battery voltage as post#5? Have you verified the LH plug is firing at all by removing it, inserting in plug cap and grounding it to head while cranking?

Is it the E-advance unit or mechanical advance? Has it ever run right with that ignition?

Mr JP was faster but here is one input
If you have a Voltmeter measure across battery
everything off
and ignition on no running
and the same running -- even if only on one cylinder
How old is the battery ?
I will check that and update. Thanks

Red housing is the one using mechanical advance unit. You have a new dual output coil with it?

Mr JP was faster but here is one input
If you have a Voltmeter measure across battery
everything off
and ignition on no running
and the same running -- even if only on one cylinder
How old is the battery ?
Got 12.2 then ignition on got 12.0. Bike running 12.02

Bit low @ battery. Test spark as in post 10?

You did valve adjustment earlier? Where LH tight? Can you check compression?

Back