What color should these tins be?

• Candy green and white a la XS1

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Candy gold and white a la XS1

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Candy red and white a la XS2

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters
How about some "Old School" real paint.:yikes: You know the kind that sorta matched right out of the can (sorta). Paint guns were kinda like the Ford/Chevy battle. I was a Devilbiss MBC man myself. Did use a Binks #7 for primer. I cleaned it up once a year though, well maybe not.:shrug: The MBC`s are on the shelf in the garage and spotless.:thumbsup:
DSCN0793.JPG

How about some "Old School" real paint.:yikes: You know the kind that sorta matched right out of the can (sorta). Paint guns were kinda like the Ford/Chevy battle. I was a Devilbiss MBC man myself. Did use a Binks #7 for primer. I cleaned it up once a year though, well maybe not.:shrug: The MBC`s are on the shelf in the garage and spotless.:thumbsup:
View attachment 210815
That shelf brings back memories.

Lucite!!! Was trying to think earlier of DuPont's lacquer name. Still used it pretty regular when I first started.
Ditzler is another name I remember. Some of their metalics just plain sucked to shoot. Silver would mottle so bad it'd sometimes take 4 or 5 coats to get it on even.

Lucite was DuPonts acrylic. Duco was the lacquer. Dulux was the enamel. Centari was the acrylic enamel
DSCN0794.JPG

Like Jim I can`t throw anything that has anything to do with anything away.:shootme:
DSCN0796.JPG
Original Blue Coral wax just like Jan & Dean used.
DSCN0795.JPG
Still got the box and instruction sheet for the Binks.
DSCN0797.JPG
The good stuff is out in the garage but it`s too cold to take pics tonight.

Lucite was DuPonts acrylic. Duco was the lacquer. Dulux was the enamel. Centari was the acrylic enamel
View attachment 210816
Like Jim I can`t throw anything that has anything to do with anything away.:shootme:
View attachment 210817
Original Blue Coral wax just like Jan & Dean used.
View attachment 210818
Still got the box and instruction sheet for the Binks.
View attachment 210819
The good stuff is out in the garage but it`s too cold to take pics tonight.
Duco was nitrocellulose lacquer, Lucite was acrylic lacquer. I've sprayed both and the great thing about nitro is that you can get an absolute undetectable blend with it. I can't remember the name of Du Pont's synthetic enamel. Sherwin-Williams was Kem enamel, and I'm drawing a blank on Ditzler (PPG)'s synthetic enamel. Ditzler's acrylic enamel was called Delstar, I must have sprayed about a gazillion gallons of that in the 80's (truck dealership). BTW, I think they quit making Duco in the early 70's. The other nice thing about nitro is even if it hardens in the can, add thinner and wait. It will dissolve and can still be used.

It was Ditzco. R&M`s was PerMax. R&M acrylic enamel was SuperMax. Still have some of each in the shop.:thumbsup:

It was Ditzco. R&M`s was PerMax. R&M acrylic enamel was SuperMax. Still have some of each in the shop.:thumbsup:
Thanks. I've usually got a pretty good memory but that had me stumped. R&M wasn't used a lot around here, most shops used DuPont as the local DuPont jobber was huge and could service more customers. I didn't spray a lot of synthetic enamel, but the thing I remember about it was how it stuck to you like glue and you had better be patient or it would end up on the floor. Ahhhh, good times!

That can of factory pack is the first year for the "Warning Label" I think it was in late 1970 the DuPont and others had to use warning labels. We sent back a lot of factory pack stock and it was replaced with the new warning label cans. Here is a can from early 1970 with no warning.:yikes:
DSCN0799-001.JPG

That can of factory pack is the first year for the "Warning Label" I think it was in late 1970 the DuPont and others had to use warning labels. We sent back a lot of factory pack stock and it was replaced with the new warning label cans. Here is a can from early 1970 with no warning.:yikes:
View attachment 210824
"Warning labels are the reason we have so many stupid people. In the old days if someone wanted to make toast while takin' a bath, there was no label to warn 'em. ZAP! took 'em right outta' the gene pool" Earl Pitts

Guess we'll need some sunlight for the big reveal.... :sneaky:
Sun's out today... and here we are... the big reveal.
Candy Pearl Deep Purple over an ebony base. It hasn't been rubbed out yet, so pay no attention to the slight orange peel.

1649635897966.png

1649635946094.png

All buffed out. Sorry Jessee, couldn't rub that ugly head out of it.... guess you're stuck with it. :wink2:

View attachment 211734

It looks great! The side cover doesn't look half bad either! Haha. I was thinking about having you replicate this next Jim, whatchya think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220326-202740_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220326-202740_Instagram.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 70
It looks great! The side cover doesn't look half bad either! Haha. I was thinking about having you replicate this next Jim, whatchya think?
Heh... if I could paint that good, I'd be sippin' a cold one in the Bahamas watchin' the sun set right now... as in rich and (really) retired... not in front of a keyboard talkin' to you lot..... :lmao:

Back