Pamco Advance Rod Play

alfredo

1978 xs650 Special
Reaction score
I have installed the 277 Pamco kit on my bike. During the installation I didn't use the new copper spacers because my cam had the old ones intact. Now, I have everything bolted in place, but I can move the whole advance rod assembly from side to side about 1-2mm. Is this normal or is something off?

Do you mean side to side in the bushings or in and out of the hole (while looking directly at it)?

Well, I can grab the magnetic setup with my fingers and either push or pull it with the rod in or out 1-2mm. I just mentioned the bushings for good measure. Not sure whats up. When I look at the other side as I do this, the advance mechanism moves as well. I mean. I guess I could just be showing my love of tight tolerances a bit too much here.

Maybe this is nothing to worry about.?.?.?.?.?.?

alfredo,

Well, the advance mechanism should not move at all as it is held tightly on the cam shaft. I think you mean the slotted disc thingme on the end of the advance rod?

Remove the rod and test fit the PAMCO rotor on the end of the rod to be sure it is flush up against the rod. Could be some manufacturing burrs on the rotor that prevents it from going flush up against the rod.

The normal end play movement for a stock OEM rod is .5 mm. MikesXS rods have an end play of 1mm. Both of these numbers are fine and will not cause a problem, but if it really bothers you, I can send you a special .5mm shim washer to reduce the MikesXS rod end play to .5mm, but do not use the shim on a stock OEM rod as it will cause the rod to bind.

Thanks for the quick help fella's. I will take it apart tonight and check again what the deal is. Then, report back.

Back