Pamco burnout with a cap?

Bucko

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive searched high and low and cant find an answer so any help is greatly appreciated,after reading through countless threads about people frying there pamco ignitions,in one way or another i just thought id better ask before i do the same :laugh: im not using a battery as my bikes running kick only and minimum electrics,ive read about people burning there pamco out by leaving there ignitions switched on to long,could the same happen when using a cap? Cheers

It's not so much the ignition getting burned out but the coil overheating. This can't happen with a PMA and cap. There is no power flowing until you kick the bike over and it's running.
I might suggest you use a spare battery to hook the Pamco to test run the bike. Hook just the ignition to the battery. Hook the rest up as you want to run it. Now start the bike. Check the PMA to confirm the output voltage. If improperly installed they can send spikes of 20+ volts to the system. This can damage things.
Once you get the PMA working then hook the ignition to the bike.
Leo

That's a great idea. I have recently upgraded to PMA and pamco, having a bit of trouble getting spark, but when that issue is resolved, before i fire the bike for real i am going to use the spare bat and check out the pma voltage.
Right now I have the ignition isolated for the hand spin test. Battery on floor Poss. lead to coil, red Pamco to same terminal, green Pamco lead to second terminal. frame grounded with spare battery, plug out and gounded to frame, still no spark.
Plenty of voltage on Battery.
Coil checks out with meter 15K between the plug teminals.
wires are measuring 5K disconnected, end to end.
Still cant figure.
I wish i had some numbers to test the pamco with.

As long as you have battery voltage to the Pamco and coil you should get spark doing the spin the rotor test. If not recheck all your connections. Good grounds are important.
Leo

Thanks for the help Leo,ive already had the bike running using a battery,tonight i fitted the cap and she started up second kick!happy days!

Back