Pamco E-Advance PMA Small Battery Problems

Metal

XS650 Custom shop
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I was ridding my bike all summer then towards the end of the season I upgraded to Pamco and E-Advance to replace my points. I bought my kit from Mikesxs.net and it was a straightforward install. Right away I noticed how smoother my bike ran. Balanced timing in each cyclinder and a hotter spark.

Using a timing light I got a clear read and the timing was easy to do.

Then after a few rides I noticed the bike would randomly cut out. It was also harder to start than before I installed the pamco / e-advance. I checked all my connections and they are all solid.

I then read depending on what reg/rec your running with your PMA (mines from a CBR600) that small batteries can not provide consistent Volts so the reg/rec try's to smooth out the peaks in turn making the little battery over work and degrade. I have a 12v 10amph, it's a bout the size of two deck of cards.

Sure enough one day I got stuck with a dead battery even though it's only 4 months old.

So then I though I'll swap it out for a capacitor and eliminate the battery. I installed a battery eliminator and removed the battery but nothing. It wouldn't start. My bike is kick only FYI. I swear the are random luck those things. Some people love them some say they never work.

The easy fix would be to upgrade to a bigger battery but I have a custom show bike and a big battery is not an option.

So I'd like some advice.

Is there a recommended reg/rec that won't kill a small battery?
Is there a battery eliminator that actually works when replacing the battery or is there a combination of products that will fix my problem.
Also if someone could point me to a thread to test my pamco / E-Advance in a safe way that won't damage it I would be really thankful.

If you can, temporarily disconnect the reg and PMA, and hookup a known/good/charged battery.
If it starts up and runs fine, you could eliminate the ignition from the problem list.
If it fails to start or runs poorly, the ignition is suspect, and may have been damaged by the charging system...

On another note, your issue when running a cap is likely the E-Advancer. You need to run a battery with the e-advance or switch back to the mechanical advance. I agree with two many as well, unplug the reg from the PMA and go from there.

Hi Metal,
check out the ignition problem first.
Hook up a car battery to your bike with jumper cables.
You obviously can't do a road test like that but you can do all the required diagnoses.
After the iggy is sorted you can make the changes needed to run on the small battery
or take a second look for a place to put a somewhat larger one.
Not the big ol' stocker, you don't need it for a kick-only, but somewhat larger, say the size of 4 decks of cards?

Effin' double post, sorry. WTF do computers do that?
Some are concerned that computers will become self aware.
Anything that is self aware can know fear and feel pain.
Bring it on!

Hey guys,
So after testing the reg/rec I found that the small battery was putting out to small amp hours to support the charge from the PMA. This then resulted in the reg/rec limiting the flow and chocking the battery performance. The long story short if you want to run the capacitor loose the e-advance.

So I'm putting the machanical advance back in. And I'm going to sell me e-advance then install the original Hall effect pamco points. Once I have this running I'll remove the battery and install the capacitor.

As it stands right now using the e-advance and the new pamco sensor with a 12v 2.5 amp hour battery results in 10 plus kicks to start and it cuts out if I turn my lights on.

I'll keep you posted

OK so when I was running stock points I had no problem starting or running my lights on my small battery.

Then I bought the new pamco E-advance kit and it was a bitch to start, stalled often and I was not able to run head lights. Lights on = No spark.

So then I thought maybe it was the e-advancer unit not wanting to run with the small battery. I reinstalled the mech advance and purchased a pamco that would drive the coil on its own.

Now the bike starts well and runs well but still not able to power lights with out killing the motor. This is even at full speed.

I have tested with the reg/rec unplugged and the bike fires right up but dies as soon as you hit the light.

So it's one of two things the Pamco not working with the small battery or the light switch is earthing out. Right?

Spring is coming and I really want to get this fixed! Any input would be very much appreciated.

Dan

Back