pamco h/o coil estart. how small can i go...battery

vernk

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i was just looking for info on the small leadacid battery thing. just how small can we go. i have the pamco and the high output coil kit. NO PMA. so i read the pamco with that coil will fire as low as 4v....what is the smallest battery anyone successfully used w/ starter and pamco only. id love to go kick only...but just cant justify the pma cost right now

You have not done anything to diminish the operating load on the system. Just because the Pamco WILL fire at 4 volts does not mean that's all you need. When using the electric starter you still need enough stored amperage to start without a sizeable drop in voltage. I run a Pamco with a Dyna coil and I kick start it all the time anyway.

yup, not much smaller than stock. you still need a 12v battery. a/h is what you are concerned with. If you dont use the estart, you can go down a lot. I was going to use a klr250 battery in mine if i ever get around to needing a replacement. 4ah i think. but this ole lead acid in mine hasnt even considered failing yet.

The rest of the system, (lights, horn, flashers, regulator) all require 12 volts.

But if your issue is just to kick start and have a small light battery, then something like this would do;

Although I would not use this particular one, because the vent is on the wrong end, so search for one with the proper configuration to save having to replace battery cables if that becomes an issue as well.

Attachments

• SR500 Battery.jpg
    SR500 Battery.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 85
When I first got my XS it had been sitting in a field for 8 yrs. As you can imagine there were some issues. During the get it running troubleshooting I was using the 7a battery from another of my stable. I was surprised at how strong and long that battery was able to crank the bike. I believe that if your bike is in good tune and you install an off switch for the lights that 7a is all you need.
If you are really concerned with small and light then opt for a lithium battery. I purchased a Shorei 14a for a DR650, when I took it out of the box I thought "no freaken way can this thing work", but work it did and still does after 5 years. I think it is about 1 1/2 lbs and has 210 cranking amps.

The amp hours is not what cranks the starter, cranking amps are. You need at least 180ca's to reliably crank the xs650.
If everything is right a smaller battery can do the job in warm weather.
Get much below 70 degrees and things don't work as well.
Leo

The amp hours is not what cranks the starter, cranking amps are. You need at least 180ca's to reliably crank the xs650.
If everything is right a smaller battery can do the job in warm weather.
Get much below 70 degrees and things don't work as well.
Leo

can i kicker her over at that time then?

Vernk,

The system was designed with a certain size capacity battery, anything less and you will have problems.

That is guaranteed.

Like lazy to start, having to kick start the bike, or even battery going dead because of the load, too many lights and accessories.

Kick starting an electric start motorcycle gets boring quickly.

These units had troubles right from the beginning because users didn't maintain the charging system.

Now you are trying add to that problem.

Good luck.

again, forgive my ignorance, im still learning. is it not like a kick only biker that removes the battery, and installs the capacitor and pma? i'd only be keeping the small battery to induce the charge over the stator so that it can juice the bike up and end up a kick only, is that not correct?

Yes, if you are going kick only, sure thing, small battery or capacitor will do the trick.

My preference would be a small battery.

Back