PAMCO...in over my head

BlackBeans

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello! First time XS650 owner and first time poster so thanks for looking!

Just bought a '75 XS650. The PO passed away a year ago and the family knew nothing about the bike other than it was running before the PO stripped it to powder coat the frame and he was in the process of reassembly. It sat for a year under a tarp in the yard. It has no spark using an inline spark tester (tester shows spark on my other bikes so the tester works). I've read every post on this forum about the PAMCO system which seems straightforward but can't figure out why no spark.

Here’s what I know:
1) The PO installed a PAMCO ignition and battery delete
The blue board is stamped "PAMCO 2013 v1.0" and the printed install guide from XScharge.com was in the parts bin that came with it.

Edf2Y0_48fzxDE_ZyUfrNKAYkiPh1VEmdmlUchXzYu7h5tydMp.png

2) PAMCO is wired according to the diagram below, but there is nothing above the orange bar I added to the diagram. I do not have a keyed ignition. There is no wire to the neutral switch, but it's not shown on the diagram so I assume it's not needed.

upload_2021-12-11_18-48-51.png

3) Coil looks like Ultimate High Output Coil on https://yamahaxs650.com/product/ultimate-high-output-coil/
I tested the primary and secondary sides and they come back in the resistance range I would expect so I believe the coil to be good.

4) Blue capacitor was corroded so I bought a new one from LowBrow Customs.

5) No name on the rectifier

Questions: Is there a unique starting process other than "turn kill switch to on and kick over"? What am I missing?

Thanks again for looking!

Attachments

• upload_2021-12-11_18-48-38.png
    upload_2021-12-11_18-48-38.png
    387.6 KB · Views: 106
  • upload_2021-12-11_19-0-19.png
    upload_2021-12-11_19-0-19.png
    335.8 KB · Views: 110
I'd strongly suggest temporarily using a battery in place of the capacitor. As it stands, you don't know if you have a power problem or a Pamco problem. Using a battery to the coil and pamco will at least isolate what's wrong... ignition or power.

Back