Pamco with Heated Gear, and MPG increase?

ccline746pk

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a few questions about Pamco ignition systems. I am considering installing one on my 79 xs650 (750 kit, kick start only) that currently runs points and a stock charging system with full size battery (that apears to be working fine).

My questions are:

1. Do you know of any installations of a Pamco on a XS650 that is using heated riding gear (running on the bikes stock charging system),

2. And is there any reason to believe heated gear would interfere with the Pamco ignition system?

I have a jacket and gloves that I used to run on my 83 XS400. I would have to turn down the heat at stops to keep the voltage up but other than that it worked fine.

3. And lastly, for those who have installed a Pamco did you see an increase in MPG and if so how much?

TwoMany, thanks for the response. My MPG question is for someone who has compared points ignition to Pamco to find out what the increase in MPG was. That thread shows plug and coil comparision MPGs, while informative, not exactly what I was looking for.

For mpg, I cannot think of how just changing to the pamco would increase your mpg. Its just a different way to tell your coil to spark. Changing the coil, timing, plugs, and fuel delivery would help with mph. (With proper tuning of course)

TwoMany, thanks for the response. My MPG question is for someone who has compared points ignition to Pamco to find out what the increase in MPG was. That thread shows plug and coil comparision MPGs, while informative, not exactly what I was looking for.

I have used both points ignition and Pamco ignition on my bike (with the same ignition coil), and there is no difference in MPG or L/km, that I could detect.

Buy a Pamco, for its abiity to use more powerful coils, its lack of adjustment fiddling (set and forget), and especially for the E-advancer (smooth advance and so nice to say good bye to the ATU fly-weights and springs). Buy it for increase in mpg...................no.

Edit: If you are going to use heated jacket and gloves, you should replace the tail light #1157 bulb, because its a real wattage hog. Go with an LED tail/brake light, and it will save some current for heating.

I would also recommend you change the 55 watt headlight to a 40 watt halogen, again to give more current available for heating.

I thought Alabama was a warm state?

Last edited:
I was thinking it probably would not increase MPG, but it would be an extra push for me to bite the bullet.

RG, thanks for the tips. I will have to check my headlight and tail lights. AL is warm most of the year, but I am an all weather rider and it gets down below freezing in winter. Anytime its below 50 its nice to have the heat on my 20 mile ride into work. I rode a couple days last winter when it was 26 degrees. Brr

:doh: You do realize that the pamco isnt charging your system. Even with heated gear, the stator is generating the power to to keep your gear running.
If the gear puts strain on the voltage, it wouldnt matter, the pamco can run at less then 12volts. Its the coil you need to be worried about...

Yes, I do realize the ignition system (Pamco) does not run the charging system (charge the battery etc). I just would like to know if anyone has run heat with a Pamco unit installed and if they had any ignition issues at all. I was wondering if the Pamco unit was touchy with voltage drops, or anything. I have aftermarket ignitions on both my old Mopars (MSD) (replacing points) but have no experience with Pamco.

I have posed a few specific questions to Pete in an email and now in my original post. They may be irrational/illogical, but as a potential customer I would like my curiosity satisfied before I make the purchase. I firmly believe Pamco's electronic ignition will be a vast improvement over the stock system, but an inquiring mind wants to know.

Yes, I do realize the ignition system (Pamco) does not run the charging system (charge the battery etc). I just would like to know if anyone has run heat with a Pamco unit installed and if they had any ignition issues at all. I was wondering if the Pamco unit was touchy with voltage drops, or anything. I have aftermarket ignitions on both my old Mopars (MSD) (replacing points) but have no experience with Pamco.

I have posed a few specific questions to Pete in an email and now in my original post. They may be irrational/illogical, but as a potential customer I would like my curiosity satisfied before I make the purchase. I firmly believe Pamco's electronic ignition will be a vast improvement over the stock system, but an inquiring mind wants to know.

If concerned about voltage drops, then a Pamco is exactly the ignition you want to buy. IIRC Pete has successfully tested his ignition down to 6 or 7 volts. The stock Yamaha TCI starts to get cranky if the voltage goes down much below 12 volts. I believe the Boyer, also does not like low voltage.

Back