Petrol prices

On the road in the van 18 mpg over 1300 miles now just wandering around getting 21mpg. Price rose from 3.25 when I filled knowing it was headed up up up to 4.25 Thursday. Been in campground since so haven't seen price last couple days but thought crude plateaued.
Inflation economics: you can't stay in business if you sell current product for less than it will cost you to replace it. Oil fields in the pan handles and new mexico looked REAL busy, pumps running roads full of oil field service trucks. Ramping up production is not an overnight event. I think high fuel prices are over all a good thing. Know that's not a popular opinion.
Picture from the new mexico desert yesterday morning. Snow all gone now.
18mpg, geez and I complain when my consumption goes below 6.8LP100 (33 US MPG).

18mpg, geez and I complain when my consumption goes below 6.8LP100 (33 US MPG).
Then I attached the horse trailer and filled van and trailer with motorcycles drove it another 1800 miles.
transit  trailer blueridge.jpg
It dropped to 13MPG, even worse in headwinds. With it emptied out and on the 45MPH blue ridge parkway went back up to 16MPG, Now getting 4WD installed that'll drop it some more. But the twin turbo V6 is getting nearly twice the MPG a big V8 moving a rig this size would have just 10 years ago.
Need the 4WD to use van in winter and for Allison's horse events, often camping in farm fields. Just a bit of rain turns them into muddy mires.
Why I use a trailer behind the Prius for most my motorcycle moving. Prius, normally 42MPG, with a bike or two on the trailer about 32-35MPG. Trailer weighs 275 pounds empty.
They are NOT rated to pull a trailer but I have had no issues on a lot of long trips now.
6785.jpeg

Last edited:
just dropped to 205.9 lt petrol... my bike is now priceless
Since this is an australian site now, 205.9 per liter inexplicably means $2.059 per liter = $7.80 per gallon = 5.80 usd per gal. In my town it's leveled out at 2.88 usd per gallon = 1.02 usd per liter = 1.36 aus per liter. i needed the exercise. Since the revolution of a wheel defined by the sine and cosine of the distance traveled per revolution is always the same you can make your jets smaller and save even more gas. You may or may not lose some performance, that is you may lose your previous ability to go from 0 - 60 in a quarter of a minute.... My '81 was making 60 mpg on the highway for a long time with stock jets universally berated as too lean, in times of cheap gas. I'd suggest going smaller until your temperatures start to reach the melting point of aluminum.

P.S. Most old 250 bikes will get about 80 mpg which is phenomenal for any vehicle. My old SR250 was perfect for around town and really more fun to ride than the XS. I wish I'd taken it on longer rides, but maybe not if its one cylinder decided to quit. Two cylinders half working will get you under a tree that electrocutes you when it gets struck by lightning much better than one cyl half working

Last edited:
At a nearby B.J.'s, the member price today was $4.079/gallon, for 87 octane. Their "high test" has ethanol in it, so I don't even bother with it...

1 Imp gallon = 4.546 Liters @ $2.00 pl = $9.92 Aus = $7.45 US

1 US gallon = 3.785 liters @ $2.00 $7.57 Aus $5.26 US

Price drop again today from 199.9 cpl to 191.9 cpl.

Then I attached the horse trailer and filled van and trailer with motorcycles drove it another 1800 miles.
View attachment 210966
It dropped to 13MPG, even worse in headwinds. With it emptied out and on the 45MPH blue ridge parkway went back up to 16MPG, Now getting 4WD installed that'll drop it some more. But the twin turbo V6 is getting nearly twice the MPG a big V8 moving a rig this size would have just 10 years ago.
Need the 4WD to use van in winter and for Allison's horse events, often camping in farm fields. Just a bit of rain turns them into muddy mires.
Why I use a trailer behind the Prius for most my motorcycle moving. Prius, normally 42MPG, with a bike or two on the trailer about 32-35MPG. Trailer weighs 275 pounds empty.
They are NOT rated to pull a trailer but I have had no issues on a lot of long trips now.
View attachment 210965
The Prius has a CVT? What’s the tow rating? We’re looking for a new vehicle.

Not the tenths. We seem to have 95.9, 89.9, 85.9, 79.9. The cents being 5 or 9. Your post had 4.07.9. I was just wondering if it is a regional thing.

Not the tenths. We seem to have 95.9, 89.9, 85.9, 79.9. The cents being 5 or 9. Your post had 4.07.9. I was just wondering if it is a regional thing.
Hi tW,
I reckon it's a marketing trick. If a thing is priced at 5.9 cents your mind tends to ignore the 0.9 cents and thinks you're paying 5 cents not six.

The Prius has a CVT? What’s the tow rating? We’re looking for a new vehicle.
Not CVT, a planetary gear set driven by electric motor and or IC.
It's not rated to tow, I cheat using a "cargo carrier" receiver.

Back