Pitted alloy rims.

Bruno_c

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The alloy rims of my recently bought 1978 650 xs are deeply pitted.
Any idea how to clean and give them an acceptable aspect.
I do not look for a "concours" look , only a clean aspect
Thanks in advance.
Bruno

First you need to get the tires off and look inside. Aluminum corrosion CAN be bad enough to weaken the wheel, I've had to toss a couple "too far gone" wheels through the years.
While I'm a big fan of Dico wheels for deep aluminum cleaning I like these type for working pitted wheels.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333923682498?hash=item4dbf6708c2:g:EAsAAOSwsOFgUb5-
s-l1600.jpg

A fairly thin wheel will get down in the "gutter", that tends to be the worst part. While most of the these are designed for angle grinders I kind a like a variable speed electric drill for better control. I've shop built adapters using bolts, nuts, washers etc to chuck angle grinder pads into drills.

Thank you for the answer. I will give a try to theese polishing wheels. But first, I think I will use a steel wire wheel to remove most of the oxyde.

Thank you for the answer. I will give a try to theese polishing wheels. But first, I think I will use a steel wire wheel to remove most of the oxyde.
Steel isn’t a good choice for aluminum. Whatever gets embedded in there will give you trouble later. It will cause galvanic corrosion.

Don't know your project goal and budget but if the rims are that bad, the spokes are hopeless, the thin plating long gone. Aftermarket stainless spokes and a wider rim are a very nice upgrade to the skinny 70's 1.85 rim. I like a 2.15 or 2.50 width with a 100-90 tire but have gone to a 3.00 x 18 and 110/80/18 tire on my favorite riding bike. That one is a snug fit, if you look closely you can see I lowered the fender.
with a 2.15 19 _________________________ with a 3.00 x 18
79xsfall.JPG detail w 18 front n rear.jpg

GggGary,
your bike looks stunning.
Unfortunately, mine is a mongrel, closer to the junkyard than to the showroom.
I am trying to put it in running condition and not to be shamed of when riding it.
Anyway, the spokes are decent. I am more concerned by the hub that is pitted and difficult to clean.
By luck there are two disks so you don't see it very much.

Back