Rear drum brake

That spacer plate you pointed out can be fitted onto the cam in either of two ways 180° off from each other, so the dimple on the end of the shaft has nothing to do with it. One side of the spacer is dished out for an electric brake shoe wear indicator that was fitted to the '74-mid '77 models. For proper clearance on the brake plate, it must be fitted facing down.

HnmCXz8.jpg

I can tell by looking at your brake plate that it's a later '77 one. As I mentioned, earlier ones had a brake wear switch installed .....

FXAxPA0.jpg

On yours, even though they eliminated the switch, they didn't change the casting. They simply cut off the wiring connector tab and didn't bother to drill and tap the switch hole .....

LFD5kMT.jpg

ExmjcgV.jpg

Your cam, if it's the original, should have the dimple on top. They aren't always easy to see .....

rEoQHgG.jpg

Sometimes it helps if you look down at it from an angle .....

YRhMwgx.jpg

Lets hope so. How bout pics of the rest of the bike? We like pics.

OK you want pics! I bought the Laverda cheaply in France a few years ago. People on here think the XS 650 is a robust bike, well, Laverda built tractors as their main business, and they used that philosophy on their bikes. These were the fastest bikes of their day, 140 mph, and very reliable, even the electrics, but boy are they heavy, and no steering lock, but I enjoyed it when I had it.
Laverda-1.jpg

When I sold it I was looking around for something new, as you do, and I saw this.

Rickman Black-a.jpg

But he also said he had this.

Rickman Grey-c.jpg
Rickman Grey-a.jpg
lack one, but by the time i got to see the bikes he had sold the black one so I bought the Grey one. Everything is new, except where it came off the donor bike, and those parts had been fully overhauled. Neither bike had been ridden, the bloke just liked building and fixing bikes, he didn't ride them! Deal at £5800 (circa $7800). As you can gather from this thread I'm fitting wire wheels, and I'm changing the exhaust.

I have this,

20160403_103131 (1) (1).jpg

and my son has these, well till the Ducati blew up!
20190807_145302.jpg

20210325_143956.jpg

The Husky as well, and this. Three cylinder Suzuki GT550 two stroke.

20201231_143730.jpg

I'll do some more of the Rickman when I get further along with it.

I nearly forgot, my friend has this.

20211223_141035.jpg

Last edited:
Complete used XVS650 rear brake plates are pretty plentiful and cheap on eBay. I picked up a couple over the past few years for less than $20 each. I was after the brake shoes as they fit the TX750 rear wheel I have. But, in the process, I got other parts I could use (brake shoe cam and spacer washer, brake shoe springs, brake arm). The only thing I can't use is the brake plate, lol.

Yes, the two rounded corners on the cam are the ones designed to push the shoes. Operate the brake lever in the opposite direction like you want to and the two pointed corners are going to be pushing the brake shoes. I don't think that will work very well and, in fact, may even lock on if turned too far.

Yes, the two rounded corners on the cam are the ones designed to push the shoes. Operate the brake lever in the opposite direction like you want to and the two pointed corners are going to be pushing the brake shoes. I don't think that will work very well and, in fact, may even lock on if turned too far.
You can plainly see in posts 3, 19 and 21, that the cams in those pictures are nothing like the one above. Maybe the cams above are the ones with the dimple mark? Even the one above would work, just a hell of a lot less progressively!

Back