Plasma Cutter

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
So as to avoid further derailing Jim's epic restoration thread, I figured I'd start a new one.

Cutter arrived today, a day ahead of their best estimate. Gotta love Amazon!

Unpacked and looks pretty good, although I had to chuckle at the "helmet" and the brush they packed with it.

I mounted the regulator/filter with a couple of minor modifications:

plasma1.jpg

plasma2.jpg

I put a QC chuck on the input side and tethered the hose between the output and the machine to reduce the strain on the mounting.

Gotta go get a plug tomorrow, I don't have one laying around, dang it...

Forgot about the helmet.... yeah, I just threw it away. I just use torch glasses with mine. "Bout a 4 or 5 darkness I think...

Is that the Cut50? I've seen those pop up online and people typically seem to really like them. Definitely on my list someday purchases. Let us know how you like it!

Aluminum?

You’re going to love that plasma cutter!

Basically anything that will conduct electricity will cut, correct? Though I’m sure there are thickness limitations.

When I was a welder with the copper mines here in Az we used to use track torches that were propelled slowly by electric motors. You could cut super thick slabs of steel, even on an angle. The cuts used to look like the metal had been sliced.
E163FC17-3DEC-465E-AA3F-4C742A320BE0.jpeg
7E6EA1AD-84F8-4ED9-A85C-71505A976EA8.jpeg

Okay, I got it wired and in the process of building a cart for it, I used it to cut some stainless. The entire cart was built out of whatever I had laying around and the only thing I had for sheet that was big enough was stainless.

I have used a plasma cutter before (a big ol' Hypertherm) when I worked at the cannery, so I'm not completely ignorant. However, that was several years ago so I'm out of practice. It's also apparent that there will be something of a learning curve.

Two problems, both entirely the fault of the operator:

1. I can't see shit. Auto-darkening welding helmet not really suitable, got flashed a lot. Gas welding goggles better, but too dark. Gonna hafta look for a lighter lens (and a better pair of goggles).

2. Trouble striking and maintaining the arc. This is primarily a practice issue and learning optimal machine settings in terms of current and air flow. Also need to get the hang of moving the torch smoothly and at a steady speed. I was shaking like a dog crapping peach pits.

Jim, when you did the video of cutting 'luminum, it almost looked like you had the electrode touching the work. I know on the Hypertherm it needed a small gap or you'd short the electrode and at the very least kill the arc, and quite possibly trash the electrode. Perhaps I should drag the back edge of the cup and tilt the torch to keep the electrode off the work?

Jim, when you did the video of cutting 'luminum, it almost looked like you had the electrode touching the work. I know on the Hypertherm it needed a small gap or you'd short the electrode and at the very least kill the arc, and quite possibly trash the electrode. Perhaps I should drag the back edge of the cup and tilt the torch to keep the electrode off the work?
Yeah... one disadvantage of cheapies is that they don't have the high freq. starter circuit. You have to make contact for it to light off. In my opinion, that's a small price to pay for an affordable cutter. Once it's goin' you can raise it up or just drag it as you described. Dragging will wear out the tips sooner, but I bought a whole bag of 25 (I think) tips for like.... 15-20 bucks and after several yrs. I still have 20-22 tips left. I usually just drag it.

1. I can't see shit. Auto-darkening welding helmet not really suitable, got flashed a lot. Gas welding goggles better, but too dark. Gonna hafta look for a lighter lens (and a better pair of goggles).
If I'm just doin' small cuts with a guide, I don't wear anything. It's not anywhere near as bright as a TIG or MIG. Doesn't hurt the eyes at all.
EDIT: I DO wear safety glasses. I'm not that stooopid.....:whistle:

DE,
These settings work good for me for about 99% of what I cut. Seldom have to change anything up to an eighth or 3/16" At about a quarter inch and higher I'll bump 'em up, but for anything less I seldom change anything....

IMG_20180628_143305.jpg
MVIMG_20180628_143233.jpg

I’m book marking this puppy - great info!

Just one problem.....
shaking like a dog crapping peach pits.

Dammit DE - you made me snort out LOUD again. I gotta get a “snort” filter for your posts. If I ever travel to Maine - I’ll prolly get arrested for “public snorting”.

Pete

Last edited:
fence sitting. so far I've run into ONE combo AC DC TIG Plasma, kinda like the all in one idea IF all the features work.............
SO I went and looked and they are two different animals, the tig amperage/ voltage ratios are way different than the plasma set up.
next question best low cost plasma with an HF start?
Then there's the combine a CAD router with a plasma cutter rabbit hole.

Last edited:
Back