Please help - New to bike

Kansas650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 73 TX650 that I am working on. It ran when I first bought it but has since stopped. I leak fuel out of my carbs. I was hoping to change them out with some new one's. I don't know what carbs are currently on the bike. Is there any way of telling? I think they are Mikuni's. Is there a good place to get a replacement kit? and..what is it gonna cost me to buy a complete kit? If you could tell me what usually comes in a kit, I would appreciate it. Sorry, new to the bike, don't know much about it yet, was a blast to ride when it was running though.

Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the site Kansas650,
For all things carbs look in the tech section. The reference material will help you identify which carbs you have and what parts they have. How they work and how to tune them.
Chances are you will be able to work with the ones you do have with a little refurbishing.
The repair and jetting kits sold are generic and will have parts you don't need or can't use if you did. While they may look "magic" the carbs on these are really simple.
Take them off and do one at a time. That way you can double check things.
Hopefully cleaning the bowls and jets will get you running again.

Rust dirt varnish in your fuel tank/petcock and decaying fuel lines are prime suspects carb work is only fruitful if you have taken care of the upstream items also.

I bet he'll figure that out after cleaning the carbs two or three times. If not sooner......

Working on a clean garage find 82. Previous owner swears it was running good. I had the "appeared clean" gas tank upside down and was shaking it and (I am not making this up) feathers came out. You just don't know what the PO did and you can assume NOTHING!

Back