please identify this for me? electronic ignition?

Moonshiner

XS650 Member
Reaction score
OK, found this wrapped up in a box of crap that came with my xs. Obviously its an ignition, but can you tell what brand? Since I don't know alot about it, is it all there and do I need anything else to run this on my bike? Different coils? 76 xs650. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3563.jpg
    IMG_3563.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 166
OK, found this wrapped up in a box of crap that came with my xs. Obviously its an ignition, but can you tell what brand? Since I don't know alot about it, is it all there and do I need anything else to run this on my bike? Different coils? 76 xs650. Thanks.

Its a Pamco ignition. Take a read here:
http://www.yamahaxs650.com/

Also use the "Tech" section................click on it at top of page. The Google Cuctom Search at top left is also very good.

What coil do you have now?

Thanks man, I just found that info, while you were posting.
I'm pretty sure everything is stock on there now. I figure I need that new coil.
Is the upgrade that much better than the stock setup?

Thanks man, I just found that info, while you were posting.
I'm pretty sure everything is stock on there now. I figure I need that new coil.
Is the upgrade that much better than the stock setup?

If your 76 is stock, it has 2 sets of points and 2 coils. There's nothing wrong with points. Cars, trucks and bikes used points for 75 to 80 years, and they all seemed to get to their destinations. If your coils are 38 years old, they may still work, but its false economy to try to use them. They may only give a weak yellow spark.

Its best to go with the Pamco ignition and a new single coil. www.mikesxs.com sells coils for the Pamco, but there are other sources such as ebay or after market suppliers. I use an Accel coil, which is expensive, but its a high quality coil, and you get what you pay for. If you go with a Pamco, the E-advancer is a great way to go, as the mechanical ATU is showing its age, and can cause problems.

The Pamco in your pic is one of the original Pamco's. It uses the stock advancer unit that is in your bike.
Pamco now sells an electronic advancer unit that you can add to your Pamco and then you can remove the stock advancer.
I ran a unit like yours for several years with no problems once I got the stock advancer tuned right.
I now have one of the E-advancer units installed.
I can recommend either one. They both work well. The stock advancer being a mechanical unit does have some play in the parts. This can let the ignition flutter a bit as the advancer works. The new E-advancer eliminates this flutter and does run a bit smoother.
I think for now I would try the points to see if it will run. This would be the least expensive route.
The Pamco you have works best with a dual output coil with a 2.5 to 4.5 ohm primary coil.
Mike's has several that work well. I think the Ultimate coil is the best value.
On the Pamco website, www.yamahaxs650.com, Pete list's several options on coils and how to mount them.
Leo

Thanks for the input, and info guys. Before i tore the bike down I cleaned the carbs, and kicked it a couple times, and the bike started and seemed to idle well. I figure I'll get it back together and go from there. If the points do well I'll leave em till they start giving me trouble.

Back