Pma questions

Inevitable

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I am curious if I've made a big mistake. Today I finally finished installing my PMA kit. But I have an 81 special with tci ignition, and after installing I do not have a spark....do I need to switch out my ignition system in order to use the pma? Or have I just done something wrong? The install was pretty straight forward so I'm not sure where I could of screwed up. I have Hugh's hand built pma by the way

So I am curious if I've made a big mistake. Today I finally finished installing my PMA kit. But I have an 81 special with tci ignition, and after installing I do not have a spark....do I need to switch out my ignition system in order to use the pma? Or have I just done something wrong? The install was pretty straight forward so I'm not sure where I could of screwed up. I have Hugh's hand built pma by the way

When you removd the stock alternator, you also removed the pick-up coil that is mounted on the stock alternator housing. No pick-up coil= no spark.

With a PMA, you need to also install a Pamco ignition and an ATU. The PMA is going to be more expensive than it first looks.

After my issues of kicking myself for not researching everything I need I called a buddy I trust and he suggested a Boyer set up... Basically just trying to figure out what specifically I need and why I would need one over the other.

Boyer does away with the mechanical advance, and doesn't have the potential issues that IGBT devices can have (heat, leaving the key on with the unit not running).

That being said, I'm installing a PAMCO due to it's super proven design, lower cost, awesome support, and far more professionally manufactured components.

The Boyer is a good ignition. It is a bit voltage sensitive, as is the stock TCI. There are several ignition set ups that can be used. I think the popularity for the Pamco Is easy to get as well as great support and he's one of us. He's a member here. Is Boyer?
Leo

Back