pointless problems

LucasCustom

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 1977 I have points and I never have a problem with that bike. However on my '81 will only run for a min and my '82 will only run for a second. What I need to know is what the pointless module is called and where to find them. :banghead:

The ignition module is called the TCI. It's a black box about four inches square just in front of your rear fender. I found it is much easier to get off if I remove the plastic rear fender from in front of the wheel first. Then I replaced the phillips screws with allen head bolts when I put it back on.

I was hopeing there was somthing behind the round chome covers above the sparkplugs as I have rplaced that black box on both bikes although I was calling it a CDI box or Capaciter Discharge Ignition my 81 has a 6 pole and the 82 has a 7 pole plug~I have replaced everything alectrical including both wiring harnesses~I got stranded 2 towns over yesterday~I was riding next to my Ex so I was able to go back to me place and get 2 new plugs~I drove for about 4 minutes~Then I went back and got a few tools and a new coil~Came back and rplaced it under a shade tree I found that was a life save as it was so hot out~Then it drove for 3 minutes~Then I rested the bike as I had nothing else to replace So I pushed it home several miles in the heat~everything has been replace a month ago including the wirking harness~So the bike is running in shorter intervals 4 min-3min-now 2 min~Like a relay is buring out and getting weeker~exactly like what my 82 Heratage specail that will run for half a second and die~I had replaced everything on that bike too~This H.S. $$$$ Pit just sitts collecting dust now~Now my '81 has just been added to that list I cannot drive or do anything with~ My 77 I drive to the ends of the earth ~I was on it all day today~I can trust it ~Always trouble free for the pasy yr even though the winter I ride as well~Is there somthing inside of the 2 chrome caps above the spark plugs on these 2 newer bikes I'm missing~mabe replace somthing in there as I have not opend either one of them to peek~I'm wondering ~If not then I was wondering if I can change both over to the trouble free points and condencers of the relyable 77~I had a '78 summer of '86 I was able to drive anyware anytime~So Points seem trouble free way to go

Great idea~I looked it up on youtube working great on an '81 I tryed to find where to get one on google but puter messed up and it throws me into pool cleaning when I try to enter uuuuuggggg I seen the price and it seems like a cure all for both my bikes~Thank you

I bought 2 new batterys for them both and charged them correctly they run shorter and shorter like my H.S. did till it runs for half a second now my 81 is doing the same exat thing in the same way~Everything is identical in every way~I tryed to order Pamco at MikesXS and you can't as they are out of stock uuuuggggg is there anyware else to get them for both my bikes and the advance rod and 4 bushings I need to sell the Heritage Special and to ride my 81~I'm down to just my 77 and it is fun but nothing makes the harly guys yell and screem as much as my 81 70s style wild painted Chopper I built~I love to drive it now~My small town is nothing but wall to wall harlys a block away linning both sides of the street~I crack the throttle and I get yells and chicks screem~I put huge Triumph exhaust clamps on it and then filled in the Yamaha on each side and then alclad ll over it so it dose look like polished aluminum~Anyone would sware up and down it's a Triumph~So I have a riot with it but not if it dosn't run

It was so worth it to wire in another TCI unit inside my TC Bother's faux oil tank and cruze one lap through town just to see the harly guys eye's light up~And all the attention~I had to park it in a church parking lot and walk home and walk back and get it in the heat~Even though it drrove there it did not drive all the way back~One block short~Each run time is shorter & shorter till it gets to be just like my Heritage~My ex wife and I have been trying to perchaise 2 of the Pamco units for these 2 bikes~So I can get them up and runnin~Ao I need to get ahold of MikesXS or even Pamco Pete~But it's the weekend

Are the batteries running out of voltage? It sounds to me as if you may have a charging problem.

Back