Scenario: clutch breaks. What's your contingency?

Lou_TX

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've had the clutch (master cylinder) break on my car before. Getting her home was not a big problem. If I had to stop, I'd stall her and when I needed to get going again, I'd start her in 1st gear and just add gas and she would go. Of course rev-matching on shifts.

However, I have never lost the clutch on a motorcycle and I am now wondering how I'd get her home.
I have never tried starting in 1st gear with the clutch plates engaged. Could I keep my balance while she fired up, moving slowly and then coming to life under my body? Is the starter strong enough to do that and get her going in 1st gear? Of course the funny though is: what about kickstart? LOL

What say you? What is your contingency plan for INOP clutch on the road?

Yup sure can had to do it for a coupla weeks in the 80s, a lotta rolling stops.
The second she starts to move give a touch of gas let go of the starter and off you go.

Shift to neutral as you stop, hop off bike. Light turns green start running, hop on and drop into 1st. Kinda like bump starting, but no clutch.

I snapped a cable on an old BMW once, while I was on the other side of town. I knew there was a motorcycle shop a few miles away. I just rode slow and tried to time traffic lights as best I could, a couple of times I had to kill it at a red light and then I started it in first gear and rode off. It was kinda hard on the starter but it got me there. I purchased another cable and changed it in the parking lot.
Having said all that, that cable snapping was self inflicted, it had begun to fray ( and I knew it ) and I should’ve never been riding with it like that.
One more thing….
A cell phone and credit card will always get you home. 😄 In this case it was a screw in the back tire.
IMG_6981.jpeg

I lost a clutch cable in LA traffic many moons ago. Used many techniques for 30 miles and arrived home with unspoiled skivvies.

A quality cable ( motion pro) lubed on a regular schedule is the best insurance.
A royal star venture crapped the clutch MC in a national park campground and I made it to an auto store in town, where a pint of fluid and parking lot rebuild got me home a thousand miles.
But yeah there's ways and I'm positive I've done it.
Recall driving a car home with a bud sitting in the engine bay working the throttle....

A motor cycle transmission can endure many clutchless shifts. It can endure many thousands gentle clutchless shifts. Low revs, low torque (shockless) shifts should be no problem. Planning the inevitable stops takes some care. Avoid a route with an uphill stop sign.

I've had many occasions where cables have snapped, front brake, clutch, throttle, all on Brit bikes. Throttle was an easy fix as the bike had an Amal Monoblock just swapped the choke cable to the throttle slide and use the choke lever for throttle. Brakes no problem either, just had to be very careful and use the back brake. Clutch cable was easy also, but very tiring as I was a long way from home. No electric start, so, found neutral, pushed the bike, jumped on and slammed it into gear.
Flat tyres, yep, pushed the bike all the way home. Five plus miles, but I was only 17, young and super fit. Once had an A65 burst into flames at a service station. Pushed the bike all the way home. Long, long way.
Push to start? I don't have enough fingers and toes to count!

Last edited:
Back