points arcing

cmyoch

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
My ignition has me wanting to push the bike into the street and light it on fire! After dinking around with timing back and forth, I finally get it to start but it only fires on one side now. I noticed my right side is not firing at all and the points for the right coil are arcing. Did I short out the condenser??

I could get it running well when the timing is a little advanced. With a timing light, full advance is beyond the advance mark. Will this cause problems??

Sounds like one of the condensers went bad. You could swap their connections and see if the arching switches to the other set of points to verify this.

Running for too long with the timing too advanced can hole a piston. I guess you could call that a problem, lol.

The last time I saw points arcing was when I forgot to hook up the condensers which is why I assume this. The bike ran very well although timing was too advanced. When I went to adjust timing while running I turned the Allen screw and saw the right side points arc and the bike died. I assume I grounded and shorted the condenser somehow. The right side has not run properly since.

Is there an auto parts cross referenced condenser or is this an exclusive part from mikes or MMM?

When did it last run?
What did you change since then?

Oh - And I had a '69 Camero in '76. Loved that car.

RFeng, before I forget. I've had my Camaro for 25 years now. It was my first car. I've spent all these years working on it while driving it and now at the age of 40, my young boys enjoy it with me. My 8 year old already claims it as his but I'm not sure in the next 8 years I'll be turning over the keys to him. I couldn't part with it all this time, I doubt I'll part with it anytime soon.

...Is there an auto parts cross referenced condenser or is this an exclusive part from mikes or MMM?

All the points type condensers I've come across were 0.22 mfd. Differences were mostly physical size, mountings, and wiring/connectors. I suppose you could experiment, be our guinea pig.

The XS650 condenser is available from many sources...

I wouldn't mind experimenting to find the right fitting ones for a cross reference but I ended up buying a set off of a fellow member here for a good price. While I was at it, I purchased pretty well his entire ignition system for spares when my components bite the dust.

Back