Possible to clearcoat bare metal?

Adhesion promoter doesn't affect surface quality/finish to any real degree. However the phosphate coating used before powder coating will darken and etch the surface depending on the type and duration. You can powdercoat over clean, polished and or brushed parts without phosphate, however you lose and additional rust inhibition should a scratch or chip occur.

Same as painted surfaces will rust in the long term? You just can't see it with opaques, like you can with clears.

Exactly. Here in Denver it is dry enough to keep rust away, even after several years. Moist areas like the northeast/south etc... its most likely going to rust whether it is painted or just cleared.

No its not the same as other materials. Clear is not a DTM material. There is an adhesion problem when clearing directly over a metal. Do you see how aluminum always fails when cleared? Over steel is worse, faster in that the rust appears and makes it look awful. There is always some corrosion that can't be seen that aids the adhesion problem. You just don't clear bare steel . . I never would. If there is a look you like, you can get it other ways, with other materials IMO.

I have cleared over steel just fine, without rust appearing after 3 years. iron oxide easily is visible due to its color, and so far not a trace of it has been seen, with no adhesion problems at all. Notice how cars dont rust in Arizona? Same thing at work here, rust needs moisture to form, and when there is no moisture, there is no rust.

just my 2 cents, I run a powdercoating shop and clear bare metal either with clear powder or clear ceramic coating. As was said, key is prep and most importantly a very short delay between polishing and coating.
As far as I know almost all powder and ceramic coating are DTM coatings. they have next to nothing in common with autobody paint systems...

I've cleared polished aluminium with ceramics and there is nothing to remove this coating or make it tarnish. Very tough stuff but very pricey and finicky to work with. Anything can be done, but it will cost you.

Phosphate will enhance adhesion and salt spray resistance but change the looks of raw steel, customers should be warned about this change of appearance... it may be deceiving depending on type of alloys...

Back