Programmable advance TCI Replacement

Your stored values are a duplicate of mine?
8000 at line 24 and 30 at line 28?
Correct. Also made sure "legal rev limiter" was off, but I never touched that setting before. It seems to fire right up and revs strong with no misses. Will button it up and take it for a ride tomorrow...

JP, the connector you put on this box... is that plug and play with the '80 SG?

This 81 will be bullet proof for ignition redundancy lol. Have a working TCI (a spare I had) and have been running that, have the Gonzo mounted where the RLU used to sit, and now I'll run the Transmic lol.

Full advance of 38 at 3000 RPM is just at the left drain groove,
Left of the drain is greater than 40°. That's "melt the pistons" territory.
Maybe try 60° as the pickup position?
See if that gets you to the right of it.... or at least moves it in that direction?

JP, the connector you put on this box... is that plug and play with the '80 SG?
Yep. Double check the pins after plugged - cheap-ass things sometimes want to back out of the block.

So here are the settings that seem to work best and keep the timing a bit retarded at full advance. Idles at the same spot as the stock TCI, but doesn't quite advance it as much....falling right in the middle of the drain groove. I'll continue to fine tune, but seems to work well so far.

1662679401072.png

Last edited:
I am noticing, though, even with a full charge, it doesn't fire right up with e-leg, but kick start it fires right up.

I am noticing, though, even with a full charge, it doesn't fire right up with e-leg, but kick start it fires right up.
It'll be interesting to see if Jim gets that issue; I think he has a relay that cuts power to the brushes on e-start??

Oddly, I don't recall the starter cranking long at all - even though it was apparently way out of time.

Took it for a ride since the wife isn't home and had to grab dinner. Can't tell the difference between it and the stock TCI. Runs strong. However, the e-start must be sapping too much for it to get a good initial pulse. Have to kick start it. Let us know if you experience the same @Jim, once you get it installed on your SG.

It'll be interesting to see if Jim gets that issue; I think he has a relay that cuts power to the brushes on e-start??

Oddly, I don't recall the starter cranking long at all - even though it was apparently way out of time.
Yeah, that relay is a great idea regardless of the ignition. Need to do that mod!

Yes I do. Be interesting to see if that makes a difference.

Let us know if you experience the same @Jim, once you get it installed on your SG.
Will do.
Almost forgot the obligatory WooHooo.....

LavishSillyCassowary-size_restricted.gif

Congrat guys ! you're making a great team ! :cheers:
I presume the e-start drains so much current that the battery voltage drop down and we haven't the polarization through the 8k resistor right.
Lemme come back with a mod.... :umm:

I presume the e-start drain so much that the battery voltage drop down and we haven't the polarization through the 8k resistor right.
Lemme come back with a mod.... :umm:
Probably not the most elegant solution, but you could run an 8k and a 5-6k resistor through a relay that's energized by the starter circuit. The 8k resistor passes through the normally closed contacts. Put a 5-6k resistor in the normally open circuit. When the starter solenoid is engaged, the 12v to the starter also goes to the relay, energizes the 5-6k circuit and kicks up the bias voltage to the pickup.

Last edited:
Clever ! it's a working solution but need an extra relay...
I was thinking more of smth like that:
mod.jpg

the diode and the small cap could enter in the heat-shrink with the 8k resistor.

Attachments

• 1662707718907.png
    1662707718907.png
    73.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I'll stop by my local Radio shack and grab that diode and capacitor and give it a go. After further trial and error on settings, to get the timing settings in the Transmic to align with factory specs, I landed on a sensor position of 63*. It now idles exactly the same as the stock TCI (at the right idle hash mark), and full advance is just in the middle of the drain groove. Current timing specs:
1662732422500.png

You should force the pickup position@212 to "1" to avoid any random false triggering...
Is the max rev really 8000? (as a reminder: The last line sets the rev-limiter too)

Soldered in the diode and capacitor as outlined. Still no start from e-start. Fires right up w kickstart. Yes, made sure polarity of capacitor is correct. :(

Back