Question: The 78 standard..

From what understand the European bikes came with a dual disc set up but the rotor where smaller, 267 mm where the US got a single with 298 mm rotors.
Adding the second rotor and caliper is an easy thing to do. just swap the single line banjo bolt to a dual line banjo where the lower line hooks on, add the second line, caliper and rotor. The stock M/C works great with dual disc.
Looking at those pics it's hard to see just what size the rotors are.
Leo

The frame says standard,(looped passenger peg mount) from what I know. There are no side reflectors on the front downtubes. They were round on the standard, and right at the upper junction. Not sure how they mounted, but I'm pretty sure they were the kind with a stud on the back, and there should be a hole in the gusset for it to attach through. If it is an American Market standard it should have a 140MPH speedometer. The thing that gets me is it has a steel rear wheel with a flanged aluminum front. Haven't seen that, but I ain't been many places either. Just an observation.

Last edited:
From what understand the European bikes came with a dual disc set up but the rotor where smaller, 267 mm where the US got a single with 298 mm rotors.
Adding the second rotor and caliper is an easy thing to do. just swap the single line banjo bolt to a dual line banjo where the lower line hooks on, add the second line, caliper and rotor. The stock M/C works great with dual disc.
Looking at those pics it's hard to see just what size the rotors are.
Leo

Oceania models also got the twin disk models from 76 on and the discs are the same as the 298mm single disks you guys in the States got.

The question i am asking is if the European models got the smaller disks, (267mm), for the twin set up then the calipers would be in a different position on the forks and would not be able to be used for the larger ones? ..... Sort of a question

15MM difference on the position of the swept area. Calipers could be mounted on the same lugs, but with different pad backing plates/pads? They don't look different in pictures, from what I can see.

The steel rim was used on the 70-73 years. In 74 they went to the alloy rims. Here state side anyway.
Leo

Thanks for all your help, but Im not that good at your english terms so im not sure about if its a 78 standard or it could be a older model.. 77, 76?

It looks like a 78 standard frame. The alloy front wheel would be correct for a US bike but in 1978 standards in the US had alloy wheels front and back. The rear wheel on the machine in the advert is steel. Check for a 140 MPH speedometer.

Back