Questions about first XS purchase

PeteH

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
This weekend I will be looking to buy my first XS. This bike will be turned into a bobber over the winter using a TC Bros. hardtail kit.
I have 2 solid choices to look at and was wondering if anyone could tell me of any problem areas that I really need to pay attention to before purchase?
The first XS is a 1976 with 10,080 original miles. Has a few mods done like a Newtronics ignition, Mikes xs non vacuum petcock and new tires, and a few other upgrades, plus a few boxes of misc. parts like a set of carbs from a 79 xs, new, stainless brake lines etc.
I have read a few bad reviews about the Newtronics set up, so this upgrade isn't a big selling point to me

The second XS is a 1978 with 12,000 miles and is all original. This bike was bought new by the sellers Grandfather and sat in a barn since the early 1980's. The only issue with this bike is the keys were lost so they removed the ignition and hot wire it to run.

I am leaning towards the original 78 just because it is original.

Any suggestions or problems I should be aware of with these bikes?
Thanks

Last edited:
If you are going to turn it into a bobber, why worry about originality? :confused:
Just make sure the bits you will use on your bobber are in good condition. Dont see the sense in paying good money for originality when you intend to strip it down anyway :twocents:

They sound about the same to me. You're gonna have to do some work to them either way, gaskets, seals etc. The 78 will have point ignition. All those model carbs are decent, BS38's. Toss a coin.

Forks are better on a 78 if you care about handling. What about rust? That would be a big decider for me, rust makes many parts worthless. New tires or old tires that aren't worn?

the barn find puzzles me. 12k is alot of miles for a bike that supposedly was stashed in a barn.
ide be careful with that one, unless you know the sellers personally.

Forks are better on a 78 if you care about handling. What about rust? That would be a big decider for me, rust makes many parts worthless. New tires or old tires that aren't worn?

I'm with Gary, the condition, especially regarding rust, oxidation, etc, is more important than the other issues.

My 2 cents.

DLD

THe answer should be obvious. Get the one with the best parts you're going to keep. Nobody here knows what you're going to keep and what you're going to dispose of.....

I have a feeling maybe your subconscious is trying to get you to restore an original bike. If so, more power to it :)

Last edited:
I agree with jay760 get the one with a good title. No title, no buy. To much hassle getting a title.

He didn't say anything to make us think either would be hard to register. Anyway he's gone now. Probably just a whim. Generation Z stuff. Might have been on 4 Loco.

Standard all one way, no manners stuff. Get help and don't even bother with a thank you or follow up, see it all the time.
Want to correct me PeteH?

Hey I go on groups as a one question wonder myself. I but really try to make it a point to get back and post what I did and how it worked out, seems like the least I can do for a bunch O folks willing to help out with time and thought at no cost to the OP.
While I am ranting; you see the same thing on Craigslist all the time, no responses when I reply to for sale adds. They post, sell the item? and then don't bother to remove the ad when the item sells and don't reply with an "it's sold" either. OK rant off. Guess that's "new manners". :shrug:

Back