quick battery question

fullercameron

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This may sound like a stupid question, but I just got a new AGM battery from mike's xs for my 72 XS2 and the terminals seem to be on opposite sides from the normal placement. With the terminals toward the front of the battery box, the positive is on the right side and the negative is on the left.

The positive cable doesn't seem long enough to turn the battery around and still reach. With the starter solenoid and positive cable on the left side of the box, it seems like this would be where the positive terminal on the battery would be.

Can someone tell me what the "normal" orientation of the terminals on the battery should be?
Thanks

I don't know if this will help as it a 77 but here is how mine sits. Red/positive to the right side of the bike . Mikes AGM battery too. Possibly you can see where the negative/ground bolts to the frame.
battery.jpg

I would set the battery in so the positive terminal is on the same side as the starter relay. If the cable is short, replace it with a longer one. Same with the ground cable.

Thanks for the replies. I agree with the idea that the positive terminal should be on the same side as the relay. Might just have to put a longer cable on. I guess I'll see if I can get the positive cable to reach over - or around the battery.

Back