Quick shift kit

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
Anybody ever use a universal quick shift kit on an xs? Dynojet makes one that briefly cuts the ignition 65mili seconds after you touch your shift lever allowing you to shift without using the clutch.

I don't have one on my XS. But I do have one on my track bike (04' GSXR 750). Its great for lazy people like me. But you can set it for clutchless upshifts only, not downshifts though. But I also had to buy the power commander unit to hookup the quickshifter too. Not sure if its the same for the XS, but it was a $600 investment. Although I recently had to replace gears 3,4 & 6th due to improper engagement on this track bike also. But I have a feeling that this repair was connected to that quick shifter in some way, but couldn't prove it. IMO spend the money on something else for your bike!

I was thinking this might be a way to save on my wife's hand by reducing the clutch pulls. Didn't realize that it didn't work with downshifts or that it would/might need a power commander. Definitely don't want to use it if its going to burn up clutches. Thanks for the heads up.

The shop said the clutch plates were fine. It rounded off 6th gear engagement splines on the side. So it would never go higher then 5th, when it happened. Also heated up a shift fork pretty good and grinded that down too. The quickshifter has to be set for a certain rpm range (4k rpm before you could use the quickshifter, w/16k rpm redline on my bike - so of course totally different machines). Maybe somebody with one on these XS could give there input though.

You can shift without the clutch-just let off the gas which accomplishes the same thing as the quick kill of the ignition, just not as fast. Neither method will lend itself to smooth riding, which I suspect you want for your wife. Get a teflon lined cable, new worm gear, clutch rod etc along with stock springs. It will work fairly lightly then, but it won't hurt to upshift without the clutch. It's slamming the gears, however you do it that causes damage.

John

I have a foot clutch and jockey shift, and I can shift without the clutch as smooth as my ass when I was a baby, it is all about technique.

You could convert to a hydraulic clutch. Then experiment with different master cylinders to get the feel you want. At least it'll stay consistent that way and not get any harder to operate due to a bad cable or worm gear.

I use my clutch only to take off and coming to a stop... the rest of the time I vary throttle and ease it down to downshift for a pass .... my machine seems to suffer no ill effects... I do occasionally suffer from "stuck shifter syndrome"... pull the clutch and stomp the shifter and I am good to go.....

You could convert to a hydraulic clutch. Then experiment with different master cylinders to get the feel you want. At least it'll stay consistent that way and not get any harder to operate due to a bad cable or worm gear.

I thought about doing that but honestly have know idea how or the parts I would need. I read about it somewhere but it seemed a little beyond the normal mod stuff.

Basically I just want her to be able to use the clutch confidently with less strain on her hand and wrist. Our 2001 sporster was too much for her hand. Her buell blast wasn't too bad though. My raider is too much for her.

If you adjust the clutch cable all the way out and then re-adjust your clutch throw using the screw and stop nut in the side cover, you can effectively gain leverage on the throwout bearing arm. Then use the clutch cable adjuster to take up the slack. This lightened my clutch pull quite a bit, it was surprising how much.

One broken strand in the clutch cable can also cause quite a bit of drag, might want to check that the cable is running free and oiled.

Back