Quick starter question

CaseySmithersxs

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Thinking about changing my starter, but want to make sure it sounds like a starter problem first, rather than a worn gear or something else. My starter rarely works, I have to hit it with a wrench to make it turn over, and when it DOES turn over, it turns the motor very slow then stops, and I have to knock it with a wrench again. When it doesnt work all I get is a single knock, then nothing happends. Like maybe the starter isnt engaging or something? I have no Idea, just want some opinions before I buy a new starter that I dont need.

Sounds like the starter is bad. When you have to use the old hit it with a hammer to make it work trick for starters or windows motors, they are junk.

^You can rebuild the starter. Would be good practice for rebuilding your carbs ;) But first make sure the connection to it is clean and tight. That could be the only problem.

When #4 is blown it will still turn over and make racket. From what you describe the problem is electrical...

That depends. The starter sticks through an oil seal into the engine case. If you have leakage around that now, this is the time to replace it. Care must be taken when removing and installing the starter so you don't damage that seal. The starter is heavier than you might think and has a small gear on the end. That gear can bugger up the seal if you're not careful with removal and install. Support the starter well and don't let it drop or that gear may tear up the seal.

That's because you haven't touched it yet, lol.

LMAO! Not sure if that was a joke about me or to me? But ill take it with stride... lol I know this is totally off of subject, but for the sake of starting a new thread. Im about to buy a Mikesxs mini Speedo, it says cable driven. Does this plug straight into my stock speedo cable? Or do I have to do all of those mounting magnets and shit?

Back