Radian Swing Arm

Have one set up on a bike I've never ridden. Done right the shock mounts need to be moved out a bit.
The axle hole/adjusters need to be enlarged. But pretty straightforward. Eyeball engineering sez that rectangular section should yield stiffness improvements over the fairly small round tube XS650 unit.. A company had a pretty steady business for years doing radian swingarm conversions for flattrack frame use, they welded a slotted track on top of the arm making for easy shock rate/height adjustments.

Attachments

• 20200530_081728.jpg
    20200530_081728.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 20200530_081746.jpg
    20200530_081746.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 111
Have one set up on a bike I've never ridden. Done right the shock mounts need to be moved out a bit.
The axle hole/adjusters need to be enlarged. But pretty straightforward. Eyeball engineering sez that rectangular section should yield stiffness improvements over the fairly small round tube XS650 unit.. A company had a pretty steady business for years doing radian swingarm conversions for flattrack frame use, they welded a slotted track on top of the arm making for easy shock rate/height adjustments.
What rear tire are you using here? I'm looking to swap mine and was considering an fzr 600 rear.

What rear tire are you using here? I'm looking to swap mine and was considering an fzr 600 rear.
GS500 rear wheel and brake 130/70/17 tire 3.5" rim. bolt circle will handle XS650 small sprocket.
About the widest wheel tire that will clear stock chain spacing.
I had to machine a recessed ring into a custom aluminum sprocket I bought (the zooky ran 630 chain, WTF?) so the sprocket nuts have enough room to clear the swing arm.

Attachments

• ywain JTR829 rear sprocket diagram.png
    ywain JTR829 rear sprocket diagram.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I'd be careful about that wheel choice. The rim is likely too wide to let the tire clear the chain and the available sprocket sizes are too big. The bolt circle on that cush drive is 145mm. The GS500 wheel will work but you do have to make sprockets but the bolt circle is only 110mm. You can also use an FZR 1000 front wheel in the back (17x3.5) but you need adapters for the disc and sprocket. You can get quick change knock off adapters from RC Racing Components since the disc hole pattern is the same as the XS front pattern. The only down side is not having the cush drive but I have run a few on trackers with no problems. The original XS650 hubs didn't use a cush drive stock.

I'd be careful about that wheel choice. The rim is likely too wide to let the tire clear the chain and the available sprocket sizes are too big. The bolt circle on that cush drive is 145mm. The GS500 wheel will work but you do have to make sprockets but the bolt circle is only 110mm. You can also use an FZR 1000 front wheel in the back (17x3.5) but you need adapters for the disc and sprocket. You can get quick change knock off adapters from RC Racing Components since the disc hole pattern is the same as the XS front pattern. The only down side is not having the cush drive but I have run a few on trackers with no problems. The original XS650 hubs didn't use a cush drive stock.
Well said @Packrat. My bike originally used a Husqvarna rear wheel with stupid 40t rear sprocket (shite for the road). I built a new wheel around a Cognito disc conversion hub for A 33t sprocket. It was a sod to make it fit the Radian arm due to the 17mm spindle ( XS650 is 20mm?) and needed a reducing top hat bearing spacer; and other custom spacers to fit.

Back