Re-finishing XS2 master cylinder?

Huszarail

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, on my XS2 resto, I've cleaned up the master cylinder body blasted the exterior with walnut shell. Now comes the time to re-paint.
I'd like to paint it in something that has some resistance to brake fluid.
I'm leaning towards Eastwoods satin black chassis paint over a suitable primer.
I've heard that it has some resistance to peeling from brake fluid spills.
Has anyone had any experience with it or other paints?
Does a synthetic DOT4 fluid take it any easier on paintwork? I'm not convinced in using silicone DOT5 fluid not knowing if my replacement seals have high or low amounts of natural rubber in them that silicone turns to mush.
Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

I have used Eastwood satin black on a frame. It is very durable but hard to apply a nice even coat. It doesn't want to blend in nicely. When you are doing a small complex shape like a master cylinder the overspray as you paint in one area will form very rough surface in other areas.
My recommendation would be to use Eastwood's two part epoxy primer. It is very chemical resistant and lays down beautifully. It has a nice satin finish and is tough as nails. I was worried about it hazing from sunlight but that has not been the case so far on parts that have been exposed for about a year now.

I go to any local auto parts store and get the VHT Roll Bar and Chassis Epoxy. It's a one step process. I've done everything with it.

If only I lived on your continent eh?
Local auto part stores in England don't stock VHT as a rule.
Is it affected by brake fluid spills?

I did my master with it. After I put back on I did have a leak. Hell I rode around for 6 months a paper towel wrapped around it. :laugh:

But there was no paint damage. I'll try to get you a pic.

Hmm. Maybe I can't recommend it.

I hope you appreciate these pic's. I just got out of the shower. I thought I'll just run out in the garage and take them right quick. Well I was buck ass naked. :eek: And it's 37* here. Is that too much information. :laugh:

So anyway. As you can see in the pics the master looks like ass. But I was out on the road when I found out the master was leaking and all I could do was wrap a paper towel around it. I then used brake cleaner to clean it off. So I don't know for sure if it was the soaking of brake fluid, or the cleaning with brake cleaner that caused the damage.

Turns out I had too much fluid in there. Notice the paper towel wrapped around the master on the orange bike.

I do have some parts painted with the same paint that I'm going to do a test on. I'll post results tomorrow. All the switch controls and clutch perch still look fine other than some bugs on them. :bike:

Attachments

• VHT PAINTED PARTS 001.jpg
    VHT PAINTED PARTS 001.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 95
  • VHT PAINTED PARTS 002.jpg
    VHT PAINTED PARTS 002.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 99
  • VHT PAINTED PARTS 003.jpg
    VHT PAINTED PARTS 003.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 116
  • VHT PAINTED PARTS 004.jpg
    VHT PAINTED PARTS 004.jpg