Rear Drum brake setup

BlackRabbit18

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Been trying to set up my rear drum brake on the XS1 but none of my manuals really go into detail on the proper procedure and alignment. My rear brake switch never activates because I can’t adjust it far enough away I know something is set up wrong.

Thanks y’all

Attachments

• AA946BCD-C486-467F-9523-1DA8616F7FFB.jpeg
    AA946BCD-C486-467F-9523-1DA8616F7FFB.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 9FBAB9F2-942D-4FEB-AD04-CD892AC4825B.jpeg
    9FBAB9F2-942D-4FEB-AD04-CD892AC4825B.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 6653274D-08EC-4A75-8C35-1C10E7106D23.jpeg
    6653274D-08EC-4A75-8C35-1C10E7106D23.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 64D33F5A-6548-4CF1-B389-51FA2C31DFA1.jpeg
    64D33F5A-6548-4CF1-B389-51FA2C31DFA1.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 51
IMG_2806.png

Do you see the dot on the end of the shaft left of center? It’s supposed to be right of center. So the cam that activates the shoes is backwards.

Start there. Then, I believe the actuator arm needs to be clocked more towards vertical.

The previous answer is true. However, honestly, correcting the backwards cam won't make a huge difference.
If you like the way the brake operates and stops, then all you have to do to make the brake switch work is to shorten the spring on the switch.

The previous answer is true. However, honestly, correcting the backwards cam won't make a huge difference.
If you like the way the brake operates and stops, then all you have to do to make the brake switch work is to shorten the spring on the switch.
That’s what I was thinking I just wanted to make sure I didn’t make some huge obvious mistake. It brakes and stops great. Only issue is the spring that connects to the frame is very loose and the brake switch

That’s what I was thinking I just wanted to make sure I didn’t make some huge obvious mistake. It brakes and stops great. Only issue is the spring that connects to the frame is very loose and the brake switch
You'll still want to make sure that when the shoes make contact, the lever on the brake plate (cam itself) is perpendicular to the rod pulling it. 90° to each other is where the greatest applied force occurs. That's where the best braking will happen.

Yes, if the brake shoes have been in use a long time with the cam backwards, correcting it won't make much difference, but I'd do it anyway. And yes, your brake arm is clocked wrong. Too many threads are showing on the brake rod. You need to remove the arm and rotate it clockwise a spline or two.

Is your brake pedal adjusted correctly, top of the foot portion even with or slightly lower than the top of the footrest? If it's higher than the footpeg then adjusting it lower may fix the brake light issue .....

BrakePedalHeight.jpg

Looks like you've got multiple problems there. For starters, the brake pedal itself appears to be clocked wrong in relation to the brake shaft that runs through the frame. So...

1. loosen the brake adjuster on the back wheel... a lot... so it's not even engaging. That's gonna allow the brake pedal to droop.
2. This bolt** is the up-stop. Screw it in until the pedal rests about horizontal with the foot peg... where it's comfortable for you when the brake's off. You'll have to hold it up with your hand at this point.
2. Remove the brake pedal from the splined brake shaft and rotate the brake shaft forward a few splines in relation to the pedal. In other words, add some tension to the spring you were pointing at then reinstall the brake pedal.
3. Reclock the brake lever back on the wheel so that the lever and the long rod going forward are perpendicular when the shoes just touch the drum.
4. Now adjust the brake at the rear wheel so you have about a inch or so of movement when you step on the brake pedal.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Also... your up-stop bolt is missing the lock nut to lock it into place.

So, I Googled "XS1-XS2 rear brake pedal" and on the ones I'm seeing, the adjuster bolt goes in from the bottom and the lock nut is on top. Also, the lock nut is an actual lock nut, a Nylock or something.

Looks like you've got multiple problems there. For starters, the brake pedal itself appears to be clocked wrong in relation to the brake shaft that runs through the frame. So...

1. loosen the brake adjuster on the back wheel... a lot... so it's not even engaging. That's gonna allow the brake pedal to droop.
2. This bolt** is the up-stop. Screw it in until the pedal rests about horizontal with the foot peg... where it's comfortable for you when the brake's off. You'll have to hold it up with your hand at this point.
2. Remove the brake pedal from the splined brake shaft and rotate the brake shaft forward a few splines in relation to the pedal. In other words, add some tension to the spring you were pointing at then reinstall the brake pedal.
3. Reclock the brake lever back on the wheel so that the lever and the long rod going forward are perpendicular when the shoes just touch the drum.
4. Now adjust the brake at the rear wheel so you have about a inch or so of movement when you step on the brake pedal.

View attachment 248809
Thanks Jim for the breakdown, I wish the manual went in this deep lol. Gonna go try now

So, I Googled "XS1-XS2 rear brake pedal" and on the ones I'm seeing, the adjuster bolt goes in from the bottom and the lock nut is on top. Also, the lock nut is an actual lock nut, a Nylock or something.
I suppose it would work either way provided there's room for the head of the bolt between the pedal and the stop bracket. Part catalogue shows it from the top. Been a long time since I worked on one so... :shrug:

yea im seeing that as well, the previous owner put in from the top and just had a regular nut non locking, its off in the pics since I was messing with things. Ill try the other way around

I'm seeing it both ways....

1691624632553.png

I’m also seeing something else. From the way your axle adjuster bolt is run all the way out I’d say you might be a link or so short on your chain.

Back