Rear fender attachment point on softail?

bkaushansky

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Building a ride inspired by Bratstyle with a soft rearend but extended swingarm. This is my first bike build so no experience here. I'm doing a ribbed 30's ford spare tire cover as a rear fender. Considering my attachment points. Struts to rear of swingarm and tab at front or tabs on lower frame and near top of shocks. My shocks will only move 2.25" at full compression.

If I keep the fender on the swingarm it will move with the wheel. Is that such a bad thing?? What about a tail light? If I mount on swingarm will is vibrate itself to pieces.

Thanks for the input.
b.

Posted via Mobile

No, you're better off with it mounted to the swingarm, and the tail light will take it, as long as it isn't super cheap. Keep the fender about 3/4" to 1" from the tire. Make sure the tire is where you want it (chain is tight) before final mounting. 2 sections of 1" vinyl tube or scrap garden hose works great for getting your fender the height off the tire.

AND WE NEED PICS!!!

Teebs,
Thanks for the reply. Pics will come in due time. Cutting the seat rails as the weather gets too cold to ride. Then the fun begins. Plan is 18" front and rear, low stance, sort of a cross between post war 40/50s and bratstyle. Low, mean, and loud.

btw, check out gordonscottengineering under shops. He did my pipes. - Awesome craftsmanship.

b.

Posted via Mobile

Sounds cool, brother. Looking forward to watching the progress. Awesome on the pipes. Scott does Great work.

I mounted my full fender to the frame, much closer to the tire than stock but it never bottoms out. I just can't let my fat friends ride it. : )

Back