rear shock question

russell205

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
on my 1980 xs650 the rear shock spring is not tight there is travel up and down and the keeper and the reflecter on top also travel about a inch up and down it looks like there is a tensioner at the bottom but i cannot seem to make it sit tight if i lift it all up flush the small pice where the bottom keeper sits on is a inch under it is there a way to adj the travel or is my rear shock just blown its the same on both sides

Attachments

• 101_2733.jpg
    101_2733.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 101_2734.jpg
    101_2734.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 77
I would say someone tried to lower the bike by taking the spring off the shock and cutting the spring. I might replace the shocks.
I don't reccomend getting a cheap pair. MMM at 650 Central will custom build you a pair to your weight and riding style for around $200.

- original rear shocks were always rather weak and these arent original anything any more-maybe someone tried a bodgie spring shortening, investing in a set of good rear shocks is something you will thank yourself for...or, simply chop her

Umm...your shock is clears fubar'd. The shroud should not be hanging like that. I broke a jack (cheap) getting those f'er's off.

Back