Rear Tire Size Choice - cafe build

mattylmbr

mattylmbr
Reaction score
Howdy y’all.

Progressing on my cafe build, and it is wheel and tire time. I’m going to be going with a set of 17” wheels - front laced to a Cognito R6 conversion hub to go with my fork conversion - and a 17” rear rim laced to the stock hub (rebuild and powder coated).

The stock 16” wheel had a 130/90 16 on it.

I’m going to be going with a 120/70 17 for the front wheel.

Question is - do I go with a 130/80 17 or 130/90 17 for the rear. And - is there much difference and what should I be considering.

Appreciate the help and thoughts in advance.

- - - Question is - do I go with a 130/80 17 or 130/90 17 for the rear. And - is there much difference and what should I be considering.- - -

Hi Matt,
the difference is a 1/2" in the tire height.
The 130/80-17 tire OD is 3/16" bigger than the stock 130/90-16 tire OD.
The 130/70-17 tire OD is 13/16" smaller than the stock 130/90-16 tire OD.
The differences in ride height between either of your tire choices and stock can be fixed by using rear shocks of different lengths.
The differences in gearing between either of your tire choices and stock can be fixed by sprocket swapping.
Is either tire size better than the other? There are so many factors involved here that I can't have an opinion but good luck with the build.

Yes, what Motobikerx said...
Here is a great online tool to help determine tire height, etc
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=130-90r16-130-90r18

Thanks! Found this yesterday. And - get the same front/rear theory - but everyone has a personal style/taste for sure. W the modern fork up front - I want to go a hair wider in the back. We shall see how it looks.

After the suggestions and exhaustion on the above calculator - I think I’m going to go w the 130/80 17 for the rear w the 120/70 17 front.

I'm sure that will look fine. For me, it's more about the overall diameter. With modern forks a little fatter tire works well

Back