Relacing An Xs1 Front drum to a 74 Rim

bearcat

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever laced a xs1 front drum to a 74, 19" aluminum rim? Like the one on the back. I have the rims and the front drum brake so I'm looking for some direction of whether it can be done properly or I should just stick with the steel rim already on it?

Attachments

• IMG_2696.jpg
    IMG_2696.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Has anyone ever laced a xs1 front drum to a 74, 19" aluminum rim? Like the one on the back. I have the rims and the front drum brake so I'm looking for some direction of whether it can be done properly or I should just stick with the steel rim already on it?

It's been done before. Sounds like you are wanting to lace a 19" shouldered style (aluminum) front rim off of a later XS to your XS1 hub. Buchannan will be able to provide you with the proper spokes.

Good looking bike.

Put that pup on some light food!

I would try it using the stock spokes first, they may work, saving you hundreds of dollars. Matching shouldered wheels would look sweet.

I talked to Buchannan"s yesterday. ( thanks for the tip)They would re-lace the new rim with the drum for about 200. That included new spokes and changing the angle on the rim. With shipping on that , not sure I want to go that much. I think the charge for just re-drilling the rim was pretty reasonable, so there are options. I'll give it a little more time

I talked to Buchannan"s yesterday. ( thanks for the tip)They would re-lace the new rim with the drum for about 200. That included new spokes and changing the angle on the rim. With shipping on that , not sure I want to go that much. I think the charge for just re-drilling the rim was pretty reasonable, so there are options. I'll give it a little more time

you can redrill the rim yourself, I did mine and it was pretty easy

Here is a shot of the test bars and the mounting. I was going to weld ball bearings to the bar openings under the tree. Check this link, http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/cafe-racer-bars.php the xs cafe bars are similar but bolt up under the tree without the clamps. I really like their design but not sure if they sweep back far enough? If I made another set I'd follow their lead.

Attachments

• IMG_2711.jpg
    IMG_2711.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2712.jpg
    IMG_2712.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 183

that price actually sounds pretty great hah. i might re-consider buchannan's for mine.

Back