Remember when changing headlights in your car was easy?

@Mailman
You're getting sloppy!
1659216011600.jpeg

LOL

The old Focus was a good car for the money. We had an '07.
Going east, we got 41.5 mpg! Coming back home it dropped to almost 38 mpg. I assume this was because the battery was out all day. The transmission works better now. I can floor it without the transmission going haywire. Before the incident, it would throw up a hard fault.

Oh man! I better get back out there and detail the garage! 😄

So, I’ll tell you what these things sell for. They cost $105 each , reproduction part from RockAuto, the boxes were huge so shipping cost me $43 ( surprisingly cheap really ) with tax all in about $275 for the set. To get OEM replacements cost online for one headlight is $350 ! If you were someone who couldn’t do this kind of work and went to a dealership, I can’t even imagine what they would charge to sell you two new lights and install them.

The last time I replaced a headlight it looked like this! 😆 Cost $10
46DF588A-4339-4420-AF1D-D5269036DEA0.jpeg

So, I’ll tell you what these things sell for. They cost $105 each , reproduction part from RockAuto, the boxes were huge so shipping cost me $43 ( surprisingly cheap really ) with tax all in about $275 for the set. To get OEM replacements cost online for one headlight is $350 ! If you were someone who couldn’t do this kind of work and went to a dealership, I can’t even imagine what they would charge to sell you two new lights and install them.

View attachment 220452
Yeah. So, tell me how the new cars are better! I’d rather buy a new ‘63 Falcon!

My wife’s car is nine years old and the finish was looking a little sad. A few days ago I spent an entire day buffing , polishing and detailing her car and to complete the look, a new set of headlamp assemblies to replace the yellowing originals. I had already polished them a couple of times and they came back pretty good but they were just beginning to look sad. So, I ordered new light assemblies and this morning I installed them. Can you believe this is what is necessary to R+R them? :wtf: Three hours of being oh so careful to not break any plastic parts and a lot of head scratching trying to figure out where hidden clips are and how to release them. It came out nice though, in the end.
View attachment 220434View attachment 220435View attachment 220436View attachment 220437View attachment 220438
Any extra parts ?
I had friends and family help me tear the front end of a salvag title Saturn easy peasy right
Bought a salvage yard front end and Proceeded to reassemble it
Evidently some parts have to go in before others so I had a few mostly plastic connectors left over
What the hell I might get another Saturn again

Yes this is a problem when it comes to Sustainability.
Mr Mailman has the skills and tools . But I know a girl that works in the health care sector that I sometimes help to find solutions.
She got a small leak on the radiator a Mitsubishi space Star .
The radiator was possible to find and not exceedingly priced don't know the details if it was an aftermarket around $ 150
But the work was estimated 3 - 4 hours at the shop . Pushing The total .to $ 500 --$ 700 range
And then we are talking the small shop at the corner mechanics.

She tries a Radiator Sealant chemical

the topic has been up before I do believe the Volkswagen beetle Would still sell should it be manufactured
Especially at current Gasoline Prices 1200 cc

Headlights easy to change? How soon our memories fail. I worked in a service station in the 70s. Remember the little Philips screws that held the ring on. 8+ year old cars rusted bad then. Those screws could be SOB to get out and then back in. I hated changing headlights.

Headlights easy to change? How soon our memories fail. I worked in a service station in the 70s. Remember the little Philips screws that held the ring on. 8+ year old cars rusted bad then. Those screws could be SOB to get out and then back in. I hated changing headlights.
Mailman doesn't understand, what is this RUST you speak of?

Yes this is a problem when it comes to Sustainability.
Mr Mailman has the skills and tools . But I know a girl that works in the health care sector that I sometimes help to find solutions.
She got a small leak on the radiator a Mitsubishi space Star .
The radiator was possible to find and not exceedingly priced don't know the details if it was an aftermarket around $ 150
But the work was estimated 3 - 4 hours at the shop . Pushing The total .to $ 500 --$ 700 range
And then we are talking the small shop at the corner mechanics.

She tries a Radiator Sealant chemical

the topic has been up before I do believe the Volkswagen beetle Would still sell should it be manufactured
Especially at current Gasoline Prices 1200 cc
The Green Police would never allow an air cooled car on the market. If you lean one out enough to please them, you'll weld the rings to the cylinders . Air cooled engines need to run a wee bit richer than water cooled to not overheat. Perhaps today's technology could make it work, but I'm skeptical.

View attachment 220452
3 out of my 4 cars still use that kind of headlight.:thumbsup: I did drive my Allante today and when I started it the screen info said right tail light out. I turned on the lights and it was. Went to NAPA and bought a 1157 bulb, pulled back the trunk liner, unpluged the socket and put in the new bulb. Piece of cake.:thumbsup:

Back