Replacement coil?

I can't believe that with all the knowledge on here someone can't tell me if this coil will work with stock ignition and TCI. Come on guys help me out.

Posted via Mobile

Most people went to bed buddy! Seriously, give it a few. I'd tell you (if I knew) but my bike is pre TCI and has dual coils. Can't remember the resistance requirements on the TCI bike coil, but the answer is here.

Well I know the answer.
YES
Pamco Ultimate High Output Replacement Coil. Replaces stock factory Tci ignition coils.
I think it says it on mikes web page too

Your welcome Oldskool.
jd My ride was good I went out toward lake Okeechobee and back with a couple friends. I think 3 bikes is just about right. I didn't see one excavator and I was looking.
But we have lots of shore line. I'll get out for a ride this afternoon a take a couple pix. the weather is getting better for riding. It is perfect when I can remove my helmet without wet hair :laugh:
I hope to be riding the XS again next week. Really am looking forward to that first ride. :eek:

You might want to search some threads bout mike's coils.
Some have reported quaility problems.

^ Only one that I know of. The 17-6803 terminals pulling out.

Ok so I got an email from Mikes and it said they could not recommend using Pamco coil with TCI. Has anyone used it with stock ignition? Thanks again I just want to make sure I'm not going to burn up something.

Posted via Mobile

i just bought 1 from mikes but got 2 since the first ones spade plug just fell off it . there really low quality i wouldn't suggest it

Yes. It is specially made for xs650. Perfectly fit for 1970 -1979 xs650s. It will work fine on 1980-1984 xs650s. So you can use it.

i just bought 1 from mikes but got 2 since the first ones spade plug just fell off it . there really low quality i wouldn't suggest it

with mikes coils,i mix up some jb quick and build up around the spade.have not had one pull out since,I also had a friend that it happened to and pulled the spade out.I soldered the wire back to the blade,build up with jb quick on both post.I also install a pigtail set of wires off the coil.Hope it helps and you can save your damaged mikes coil:thumbsup:

I can't understand why people buy them in the first place. Makes no sense. There are many better (and sometimes cheaper) choices out there. Learn a little about coils and save yourself some wasted money and all the frustration.

I can't understand why people buy them in the first place. Makes no sense. There are many better (and sometimes cheaper) choices out there. Learn a little about coils and save yourself some wasted money and all the frustration.

maybe then you can give us all a little education on coils.My case.i am new the xs650's,and this is one of the few that will tuck up under my sporty tank.Come on...share some of that knowledge.:D

Come on...share some of that knowledge.:D

Oh, he's on the level, believe me. I burned out three 6803s. I never had the spades break off but I've had the plug wire terminals come loose. The 6903 I know nothing about other than you spend 3x as much as you need to.

An ignition is designed and built to run with a coil of a certain primary ohms. Some are very specific on the ohms, the stock TCI specs a 2.5 ohm primary. So any coil with a 2.5 ohm primary will work.
The ignitions use a transistor to control the current flow through a coil. The transistor can handle a certain amount of current.
The current a coil draws is determined by the primary ohms. Divide the battery voltage by the ohms. As in 14.5 divided by 4.5 = 3.22, this is the amps of draws. A 2.5 ohm coil is 5.8 amps. You can see by this an ignition designed to carry the current of a 4.5 ohm coil would get damaged by a 2.5 ohm coil.
Some ignitions use coils with much lower ohms. Like .2 ohms, these draw tremendous current, like 72.5 amps.
Matching the coil to the ignition is very important.
Leo

Exactly ...... and I have shared my coil info in the past, many times. There are pictures, specs, the whole ball of wax, on the coils I have used and use now. Do a search, I'm sure the info will come up.

Back