Replacement tire recommendations - 81 XS650H

81XS650GTO

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
81 XS650 w/spoke tubetype rims - looking to replace original front /rear tires and tubes. Already have a new MT90-16 D402 Dunlop for rear. Front is 3.50X19. Any recommendations for the replacement front tire and both front and rear tubes. Right now, looking at IRC GS-11 front tire and Bikemaster or Bridgestone tubes. Any recommendations before I make the purchase? Figured I would try to learn from those that have taken this path before! It is still a great bike. :bike:

- welcome...i like bridgestone battlax BT45 front and rear..there are 2 19in front tyres available ...... 3.25-19 and 100/90-19

If your using the Dunlop D402, I might suggest getting a D402 in a 100-90/19 or a 110-90/19. Either size will work.
For tubes I use whats cheapest.
I like to match the tires by brand and model. I think they handle better when the tires match.

Thanks for the feedback. Didn't find the Bridgestone BT45"s or the Dunlop 402"s for the front in tube type, which I need due to the spoke rims. Still haven't made the purchase yet. Also if I farm out the installation, about what should I expect to pay? Any ideas? :bike:

Most tires can be used with or with out tubes. Designed that way, the manufacturer don't know if you have spoke or mag wheels. Don't really care either. So they make them work both ways to avoid lawsuits.
I had a local shop charge $20 to change, if you have the wheel off. Most places around charge about the same. If they charge over $35 I would get the tire changer from Harbor Freight and do my own.
I did that, got the regular changer and the motorcycle changer to add to it. The bead breaker on the regular changer works great on bike tire, just need some wood blocks to hold the rim up so you don't hurt the brake rotors.
Using the HF changer works well, it gets you up at chest level instead of down on the ground.
I mounted the changer on a 3 foot square of aluminum diamond plate I had laying around. A 3/4 inch thick piece of ply wood will work to. This way you can move it around to were you have room to work and tuck it back in a corner when not used.

Back