Right side ticking

Gfoer1022

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Alright, I know This is discussed a ton, and everyone says it’s pretty normal but it drives me nuts to think it might be something wrong. I just Want to ride this thing knowing it isn’t hurting itself. Lol. So I have Done everything, pulled the motor, replaced timing chain, both the guide and the tensioner, put the 750 kit on with new pistons and rings, put new adjusters in, all new gaskets and seals, sync’d the carbs and adjusted and jetted, and am running 20w-50 oil, and I’m still getting this ticking that is much more prevalent on the right side for sure. I am Loosing my mind trying to chase down this ticking and at least quiet it, so I can Hear the beautiful sound of the exhaust. Lol. I get Noises engines from the 80’s and I could Be wrong, this just seems super noisy. I know you can’t tell very well from a video, but I posted on just in case somebody can hear and tell what’s going on or if it’s normal. First xs I have owned and worked on so don’t know a ton, just that other bikes are much quieter. Don’t be afraid to tell me I’m worrying too much. Lol.

I know it sounds like the right side but I’d guess it’s the timing chain tensioner. Either too loose or missing the damper.

I know it sounds like the right side but I’d guess it’s the timing chain tensioner. Either too loose or missing the damper.
Yeah, I have Checked all of that. Has the damper and it is adjusted correctly. I wish That’s what it was. Lol

Back