Running Light Switch

rfk74650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello Guru's,
Is there a switch unit available to convert the turn signals on my 74 TX650A to combination running lights/turn signals?

there is a way using a trailer light adapter kit my rear turns come on as brake lights unless the turn is in use then it flashs normally, if you are wanting them on the front (headlight circuit) I wouldn't use one of these as it would be always on and probably burn out, it's easier to just find signals that take a dual fiament bulb (3 watt running lamp and 27 watt turn signal) using the single filament turn as a running light would be to bright

Attachments

• S6300416.JPG
    S6300416.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I have heard that the front signals from one of Yamahas XJ models have a dual filament bulb and will fit. Or maybe it's the guts that will fit. You can find them on ebay I'll betcha. I have found a guy locally here that most likely will have them. My plan is to do it too. Hope that helps.

Thanks very much for the help.
I bought my 1974 TX650A with 9500 miles on it. Had to strip and clean the carbs and now she runs pretty good. Clutch will likely be the next project. I'll post some pics soon.

I have replaced my turn signals with their factory like replacements from Dennis Kirks they have 2 filament bulbs (i am only using 1).
I am also using the Clear lens with amber bulbs.
I could dig up the part #s if anyone wants them.

If you use aftermarket blinkers with dual filament bulbs they have two wires one of which can be wired to headlight circuit.

I tried the adapter that Jayel talks about. It worked very well to use the rear turns as brake lights. In so doing it increases the current draw To about 80 watts which makes it draw more than most anything on the bike. After I figured this out I converted everthing to LED's this cut the current draw but the lights worked funny. When you hit the brakes the right front turnsignal lit too.
I tried some diodes inline with the lights and couldn't come up with the right combo to get all the lights to function, so I removed the adapter.
I have been looking around for something to replace the adapter and workes with LED lights. I was told about www.customdynamics.com/tailconversion_kit.htm#wire_in_metric_crusier_controller_ Item #4710. It says it works with LED lights and can flash the brake lights then come on steady.

Back