Rusty's build thread!

yea Earz they are actually just pieces of threaded rod that we heated and bent around so that it would mount up right but i will try and see if i can get some clear pics next time im out in the shop ;)

:doh: Should have sent it to me lol I could have done the Labor for half the price and we could have got you a better hardtail :D.... anyways it looks like you got a good start. If you need anything else for your bike hit me up before you go to Totally Crap Bros (tc bro) :laugh: lmao
NortonKustomS@gmail.com

love how you promote yourself and bash another company... bravo......:wtf:

yea i think he was just havin a laugh, im sure it was all in fun :D he is a pretty kool guy and does some pretty kool work, i have gotten a few things from TC Bros and have been very happy, but i would be just as quick to get things from Norton Kustoms, all good here ;)

Nice tank, brother! Seriously, good job on the rear fender. Are you going to keep the front one? (nice to see it.) It's looking good and you'll love riding it. Keep at it!

thanks teebs :) its actually a 3.3 gallon king sporty so it is a little different (just a little, def. not original! lol :D ) im hoping the fender looks pretty good when im all done with it and mount it up right. we will see. i have only been able to find a few pics with hardtailed XS's with the stock fender so im just kinda wingin it. and as far as the front fender goes, i like the look better without it, but since it is going to be a daily rider and i dont want to get water and dirt in my face all the way to school or work when the weather is less then awesome, im going to keep it on. but its only four quick bolts so if im ever feelin frisky i can just pull it off and run without it for a while :)

Thanks rusty ;) yea I was and really still not a fan of the hardtails but I have met with Tyler from TC bros and he is a really good guy. I think they take some short cuts but hey they mass produce there stuff and you get it quick and to some people that matters more. Im going to be a dealer through them just because people buy them cuse they are cheap and why not give your money to me then lol :) gotta follow the money. Im still a main dealer for Elswick Cycles (best out there) and now we have hand tooled seats.... Rusty if ya need any help FB me!!!! looking good bro!

hahaha, i knew that! man i totally didn't even think about that when i wrote the response! lol. i dig the new name, you should have just jumped on and started bashing Norton Kustoms under the new name!!! that would have been funny shit! ok well ill be back in the shop tonight so hopefully i can actually accomplish something :)

ok guys and girls! i got the whole top end apart! woo hoo! :D that really wasnt all that difficult at all! :doh: especially if you know a few of the little tips and tircks i picked up from here and 650 garage! nothing looks too terrible aside from the massive amounts of carbon buildup on the top of the pistons and the valves. but the cylinders seem to be smooth and there are no holes in the pistons or anything that seems major! so now i just have to take them to the guy that works on my harley and see if i can convince him that he should work on this bike :bow2: and spec the cylinders and possibly just clean up the bores, etc. but doesnt look like anything major!!! yay! also got the mock up motor in so now its fabrication time! the build is finally starting to gain some positive and productive momentum! :smoke: i will have pics up very soon! :rock:

ok guys here are some update pictures, got the motor down to the cases and got the mock up motor on. starting to make some serious progress finally! :thumbsup:

here is a pick after i got the cam out, the cam chain is being held up by a piece of paracord so it didnt fall into the case! :D cam chain was still very tight and didnt seem to be damaged at all, do i still need to replace it or should it be ok? :shrug:
DSCN1146.jpg

here is a picture of the cam that cam
DSCN1147.jpg

DSCN1160.jpg

lots of carbon buildup on the top of the pistons and on the valves.
DSCN1149.jpg

DSCN1164.jpg

with the seized mock up motor in aka the boat anchor as we call it! :laugh:
DSCN1171.jpg

just me messing around with a sharpie, im not actaully putting flames on the tank. :p
DSCN1168.jpg

hey there guys, just figured i would give a little update and ask a couple of questions. :D i was able to talk the guy that does does the work on my Harley motor to hone the cylinders and fix up and re-seat the valves! woo hoo! :laugh: that's a relief. so now i just have to order the 2nd over piston and rings from mikes along with a bunch of other stuff like new sump filter, Honda oil filter converter kit, mini speedo, new clutch cable, etc. :thumbsup: one of the things i need is a full gasket kit but he is currently out of them and getting every piece individually is going to be much more expensive not to mention he is out of some of the individual pieces as well :banghead: any one know where i can find an alternative gasket kit? or does anyone maybe have an extra kit i could buy off of you? if so PM me. :) i also wanted to get the tapered steering bearings but he was out of stock for that too. :doh: are those just drop and go or do i need to pull the bearing cups and install new ones to use it? also is there anything else i should consider getting from him when i place my order? thanks. ill keep you posted on progress and hopefully ill be ridding this beast down the road by the end of the month!!! :bike: thanks everybody! :rock:

one of the things i need is a full gasket kit but he is currently out of them and getting every piece individually is going to be much more expensive not to mention he is out of some of the individual pieces as well any one know where i can find an alternative gasket kit?

650 Central Gasket Set

The online store is not working. You have to call him.

i also wanted to get the tapered steering bearings but he was out of stock for that too. are those just drop and go or do i need to pull the bearing cups and install new ones to use it?

You have to pull the old races out and very carefully seat the new ones in their place.

To pull my old races out before I put the tapered ones in I just used a long flathead and a rubber mallet. Tapped out the bottom race from the top and the top race from the bottom, just working side to side and they came out with ease. You shouldn't have to wail on them, tapping should do it.

If you have a local shop you like dealing with they should be able to order athena gasket kits if you don't want to order them online. Also I got my tapered bearing kit through my local shop. They came from "all balls" www.goallballs.com part# 22-1015, shop ordered them in for me, ran about $36 or so.

thanks guys! i will give that a go! so when i put the new races in, i can just use a rubber mallet and just make sure to keep them even or do i need to have a special tool or is there a trick to it? ive installed them on bicycles but never on a motorcycle and since my motorcycle goes a little bit faster i want to make sure i do it right ;)

I used a pvc pipe to put the bearing on the stem. The top race is somewhat easy. I used the old races to put in the new ones. Used a wood block until it went flush then placed the old ones on top to get them all the way in.

seems easy enough i suppose! thanks jimmy! it seems like a pretty good upgrade from what everyone has said and its not super expensive, which is good for a poor college student like me! hahaha

- or make up something like this-it will pull the races in straight

PA220019.jpg

- use the old races to pack the new bottom race

PA220021.jpg

Back