Sandblasting gone wrong

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I sent my rockerbox, head and jugs to a mechanic to get them blasted. (he also did some minor head work).

They look great, which is nice BUT he suggested I dissamble the rockerbox and clean out the oil passages and I discovered TONS of little sand particles everywhere. Beware when using SAND!

Also, sometime during the blasting process it appears as though the large o-rings in the cylinder sleeves have dissappeared. Do these come in the gasket kit from Mikes? Its for a 1980 650.

Great. I need to get that kit anyways so no harm no foul.

All I have to do know is call the guy and absolutely positively confirm that he cleaned the sand out of the head and jugs properly.

dude never use abrasives on heads one kernal of sand or bead will kill the motor. I stick with soda. get er clean !

after I soda blasted my engine I used soapy water to clean off the soda. if you have a air compressor its easy to make a cheap soda blaster. (some cemicals can harm aluminum!)

Carbon I was referring to him using sand. I just wash with soap n water after I sodablast like you and its good to go.

Damn, Definitely should've just done the soda blasting myself. Oh well. Live and learn. I'll be extra careful removing sand from the rockerbox. The jugs will be straightforward to clean up. I'll check with him about the head and see what steps he already took.

I like your sodablaster. Ive done it just like that on the run. Comes in handy. Now if there were a way to control the dust. lol

thanks, just put the soda in a gallon jug and don't use the trash can. But soda gets every where but less in your face thats for sure.
but I to cheap and I wanted to save as much soda as I could

Back