School Me On Manual Spark Advance

pyrocentric

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of converting to manual spark advance to get a better understanding of how it works. Having sprained an ankle kickstarting the XS last year before I knew better I'm aware of the risks :laugh:, and I probably won't follow through, but I'd at least like to know a little about it.

From what I've read, it seems(correct me if I'm wrong) to start the old harley's you twist the left grip all the way forward to retard it, kick it, then once it's started you turn the grip towards you to advance it full and leave it there while it's running. Many of them use a spring to hold it at full advance. Some say they retard it a bit going up hills(I guess they heard the pinging?) when the engine is lugging. I assume the vacuum advances in cars did the same thing...retard the timing when the engine is under load.

The XS is similar, full advance at 3000rpms and keeps it there. Of course at idle it drops back to full retard to avoid igniting too early while the piston is still coming up. I assume the theory is instead of retarding the advance and lugging the motor on hills, you just downshift and let it scream at higher rpms in the powerband.

Anyway, just wanting to learn something new. Would there be any benefit to a better advance mechanism, manual or otherwise?

Know nothing about Harley except the jokes. The advance unit is ok, its the timing needs to be retarded and taller geared.

Or let a tci ignition do the advancing for you. I had thought (a little) about adapting a harley programmable aftermarket ignition to an XS. A little joshing but you want to use a system who's owners usually limped when they walked? Spent years on kickstart only bikes. I like my electric leg. I start the old magneto Farm-all H with the hand crank when the battery is down. and i have even hand propped a 160 HP plane engine. but an electric start mmm that's the life.

The old bikes and cars and farm tractors used a manual retard because they hadn't figured out how to automaticly do it.
Why not just set the timing a bit retarded?

Be glad for the auto advance.
Know that is is good and rejoice in Your heart, verily , I say unto thee....Seriously, I know. My 46 Chief has the manual advance. It WAS on the right hand grip. A couple months ago, I switched the advance to the left grip, and the throttle to the right side. When starting ,You must set the timing properly , or risk injury. When You take off, you adjust the spark to the RPM, to avoid detonation, and pinging. Care must be taken, as you can overheat, or hole a piston, or run over the Cat, while you are playing with the timing. It does feel natural after a few minutes, more or less, if it is possible to feel natural twisting both grips at the same time, while watching for animals, cages, and road conditions. Of course, on the Indian, You are also using a rocker clutch on the left floorboard, and shifting through 3 gears, on the side of the gas tank. If I had a choice, I would prefer a auto spark advance on this bike, but I want to retain the historic correct setup. To each His own.:wink2:

Hey Pyro that's not allowed. You can't just come on here and talk about an old Indian that you OWN! Grrr!

ttwp.gif

You have to SHOW us!

haha, sorry, Bro- but- I HAVE paid some dues, believe Me, lots of gray hair to show for it. Will post up some pics when I learn how. I need a PLAYSCHOOL computer!

My 46 Chief has the manual advance. It WAS on the right hand grip. A couple months ago, I switched the advance to the left grip, and the throttle to the right side. When starting ,You must set the timing properly , or risk injury. When You take off, you adjust the spark to the RPM, to avoid detonation, and pinging. Care must be taken, as you can overheat, or hole a piston, or run over the Cat, while you are playing with the timing. To each His own.:wink2:

that's just because Indians were bass-ackwards:laugh: manual spark on the old H-D's was great fun, build up a head of steam, roll off throttle and retard the spark sounded like a 12 guage going off, worked best with a megaphone muffler

The reason that the throttle was on the left was because they sold many machines to the police. Most people are right handed, So for a policeman to pull his gun he needed his right hand free. So throttle on the left.

Did that cop just shoot at me or was that a backfire? I'd like to see some mounted shooting exhibitions.

If anybody ever shoots at me I hope it's while they're riding a motorcycle one-handed.

Of all the things I don't miss from the 'good ol days'....manual advance is right up there on the list with outhouses, pigpens, flies and homemade soap.

Yes.....I'm old! Blue

Last edited:
Wow am I relieved....I thought it was going to that old joke about "Old Blue" the
coonhound and the punch line exclaimed by the guy falling out of the tree while trying to knock the racoon out of it......"Shoooooooot Old Bluuuuuuuuue!"

From hence I got my nickname when much younger (less old)

Good video. Thanks Travis and for the 650 Society notice sticky as well. Old Blue

Last edited:
Back