Scissor spring question/problem?

mikess

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So i just mounted my 2" scissor springs last night. When I had them mocked up with the bungs sitting loose on the cross bar the tension was beautiful. But i noticed that the bungs were pivoting on the cross bar when I bounced. After welding them on... my springs are hard as a rock. Might as well be sitting on my frame. Is this normal for scissor springs? Any help opinions would help. Thanks a lot.

Did you buy them from Lowbrow? The lowbrow ones are notorious for this.

I have them and they do wear in a bit eventually; I weigh 170.

The La Rosa hairpins are much softer.

I did get them from low brow. im 185 and they move about 1/4 inch right now. Thanks. My first build so im learning as i go.

The scissor type springs are not meant to be bolted down,because if you do it puts them in a bind when they try to compress. They are designed to ride on pins so that they can flex properly.I have had 2 sets eventually break on me right where the "bolt" holes start. Study them while you push them down and you can see what I'm talking about. I'm surprised that more people have not complained about them binding/breaking,as I have yet to see a bike in pictures or in person where they are mounted correctly. Just my .02.

sooo... would you mount a straight rod sticking up threw the "bolt" hole with a cotterpin? to keep the spring from comming off?

angus67,,,

You are correct good Sir,,, I used them on my project but currently just have loose bolts holding mine in place until paint/final assembly...

They should look like this for a hard tail :

51-0638-2T.jpg

:D

So i just mounted my 2" scissor springs last night. When I had them mocked up with the bungs sitting loose on the cross bar the tension was beautiful. But i noticed that the bungs were pivoting on the cross bar when I bounced. After welding them on... my springs are hard as a rock. Might as well be sitting on my frame. Is this normal for scissor springs? Any help opinions would help. Thanks a lot.
i just did the same exact thing you did last nite and had identical results.i liked the looks of the scissor springs more so i mounted them too.and they are rock solid.but i would rather have that than too spongy.

yeah i loosened up the bolts and theres a slight difference. im gonna get an longer bolt.. tack it into the bung, cut the head off and throw a castle nut on with a cotterpin. let them run loose. thanks for the replies.

i got a question.i bought a specific hairpin spring mount setup from lowbrow.where you use use bolts and some really nice washers.run em down tight.is this wrong then?and they are not aware of this problem? if you dont tighten them down wouldnt the springs move from left to right? i just welded those bungs on!!!

thats the exact set up i bought. i dont know if they are aware and when im running them snug (not rattling loose but definitely not tight) they dont move left or right when i bounce on them. Only thing I can say is my solution to the problem other then chopping those bungs off, is like i said. go to lowes, get a bolt of sufficient length, tack it into the bung so it will never back out, cut the head off, get a castle nut and cotter pin/safety wire it on. some nylon or leather washers probably wouldnt hurt either.

Back