scm engine gaskets

I have not. Not heard of them. I try to get Vesrah or Cometic when possible.

I bought several of their complete engine gasket sets, mostly because they are so cheap, and they look good. They're made in Japan and the head gasket thickness matches the original. I've only used a couple of the gaskets so far (intake manifolds, side cover) and they are working OK. Where else can you get a complete engine gasket set for under $20?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/231823570277#shpCntId

So my curiosity got me; been around the industry 50 some yrs. - don't remember SCM gaskets. Did some googling: Self Cycle & Marine Distributors Inc (SCM) of Tarrant, AL. Depending on the records (DE or NY) began 1962, dissolved 1980, or 1992. Apparently there is an Ebayer listing NOS SCM gasket kits out of Terrell, TX. All Ebay listings (I found) are for bikes before mid-1970's. As an aside SCM, Leo Howard Self, Pres., was a precedent setting case before the NLRB in 1978 with many citations to follow.

Ya reckon those New Old Stock gaskets are 44 yrs old?
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
I've been using them for a couple of years. No complaints.
I'm gonna need a complete XS2 gasket set this winter. Did you get them from the TX Ebayer? Do they appear aged, dried-out or brittle?

The nice thing about an XS2 set is it has the newer head gasket style (larger) so can be used for all the newer models. I also like the fact that many of the o-rings are red silicone (I think), just like originals. That Athena kit comes with mostly black o-rings and I've found the ones for behind the points and advance housings don't hold up. They are fine as long as you don't disturb the housings but remove them and you'll find the o-ring has deformed, become square profiled, and can't be re-used. All the red originals I've encountered were still round and could be re-used if need be. In fact, I replaced some of the black deformed ones with some old (still round) originals and they worked fine.

I'm gonna need a complete XS2 gasket set this winter. Did you get them from the TX Ebayer? Do they appear aged, dried-out or brittle?
I pretty sure they came from TX. Not brittle or dried out. I do rub them down with red grease.
They look a lot better than green gaskets.;)

Just ordered a set.Reviewed what info you guys have shared.Appreciate your experiences.

Attachments

• 926479EA-63EF-4658-AAB8-2E5BE89AC0F6.png
    926479EA-63EF-4658-AAB8-2E5BE89AC0F6.png
    487.9 KB · Views: 17
Back