Sealing cap nuts

TXA Phoenix

TX650A Phoenix
Reaction score
Does anyone know why these particular locations use cap nuts with sealing washers? The crankcase studs are all sealed with yamabond at the mating surfaces of the crankcase halves and shouldn't leak. I can understand using cap bolts to protect the threaded end of the studs on the bottom side of the engine where they can get scrapped, and which is why I am replacing mine with five new ones. So why aren't more used on the stock engine?

Attachments

• A 6CopperWashers.jpg
    A 6CopperWashers.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 109
i think those capped studs are alot longer than the uncapped. it would look alot better if all were capped, though

i think those capped studs are alot longer than the uncapped. it would look alot better if all were capped, though

I see the reasoning to your answer. I'll check the amount of exposed thread length protruding through the holes when I assemble the cases. Still I don't see why the sealing washers are needed when it is sealed inside the cases. aftermarket cap nuts are available from Mike's XS but they don't match the originals in that the originals are driven by a 13mm wrench and Mike's are driven by a 12mm wrench. Found some originals for seven bucks apiece

Back