Seat Cover Repair: How-To DIY A primer

I never really finished this How-To, so I'll resume now.

View attachment 243318
The Loctite Vinyl Fabric & Plastic Repair Flexible Adhesive is critical, and it is what actually makes the repair. The Black Permatex Silicone is mostly cosmetic, it doesn't add a lot of strength to the repair.
Ideally, the Loctite actually dissolves the surface of the existing vinyl seat and the surface of the backing material, resulting in a very strong "welded" repair.

I tested several vinyl and fabric repairs and adhesives, as well as several different backing materials.

View attachment 243319View attachment 243320
I've used Plasti Dip VLP Vinyl Repair 61Z09. It works just as well as the Loctite, probably because it's exactly the same. But 3X the cost, and harder to find.
I've never used GEAR AID Aquaseal FD Flexible Repair Adhesive, but it looks promising. Again, probably the same stuff as the Loctite at 3X the cost and harder to find.

There are several other products that have "vinyl cement" or "vinyl adhesive" on their labels but the Loctite works and is cheap and I would keep away from anything else. I've tried PVC cement -- seems like a logical choice since it dissolves PVC, but no, it doesn't really work on vinyl.
I've tried various fabric adhesives from fabric and crafts stores -- they are a definite "no." E6000 -- no. Flex-Seal -- no. Flex-Glue -- no. Gorilla Fabric Glue -- no.

Onward to the backing material.
The Walmart Flannel-Backed Vinyl that I listed back in post # 6 won out over everything else that I tested. It's vinyl -- so the Loctite will melt its surface.
If you go all the way back to the first few pics that I posted in this thread, I was using a blue backing material. That was rip-stop nylon, readily and cheaply available from any fabric store. It works okay, and is slick, and thus very easy to position under the torn seat vinyl. The Loctite sticks to it well, but doesn't really dissolve it.

Please
How thick is that Flannel / Vinyl material At the moment I can have problem finding it -- nearby to buy over the counter
As with the Loctite glue but .That I can find

Fabric shops are fewer here because the Finished products from Asia are so Cheap .And the fashion changes.People are more into buy and next year throw it away and buy new. Yes poor quality ..But still doing so ..
Not that I am into sewing so I know where the shops are.

I have the sewing machines mostly because I serviced them so I could stitch a vinyl layer to a flannel fabric.
Or Cotton that can be thinner.
I even have saved a Nylon Shirt that was more in fashion in the 60 ies I can rip apart.
The sewing bonds strongly with Polyester thread . Some glue it will work
Or other fabric.
An old shirt or something
I have industrial machines but most other households have a standard sewing machine and I suppose it is doable on them also.

I also have the lining material used for Lining in leather jackets and so In house ..Dont know if that is Nylon .If the glue will solve it .But that can be tested when I get the Glue

How thick is that Flannel / Vinyl material
I don't know, and I don't really know how to measure it.
THE VINYL LAYER IS VERY THIN, and thus very flexible -- it is not stiff-ish like the seat vinyl is.
The flannel layer is also relatively thin.
I could stitch a vinyl layer to a flannel fabric.
The flannel isn't as important as the vinyl, which the Loctite will dissolve, is. The flannel can be helpful in smoothing out un-even foam. However, the flannel can also be a negative -- creating a visible level change.
I even have saved a Nylon Shirt
In my experience the Loctite won't dissolve nylon, but it does adhere to it very well, so nylon can be tried. The rip-stop nylon that I use is very, very thin,
But that can be tested when I get the Glue
Yes, test different fabrics before you make the actual repair.

Last edited:
Great write up and something to try but has anyone made a repair to the top of the seat? Seems that if it was stabilized it should work but it is a lot higher wear area.

Back