Seriously valve adjuster screw?

Black22

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, I didn't know their reputation around here before I made my purchases. I own that. I should've done my research first.

That said, I ordered a set of new rocker arm assemblies from a vendor, whom shall remain nameless for now. I ordered them with the elephant feet adjusters. I like that style of adjuster. I'm used to their qualities, I'm a Porsche guy too. I receive them and they had regular style adjusters....hmmmm. So I fire off an email and ask where my elephant foot adjusters are. I get a reply about a week later saying they had nothing but trouble with them and they went back to the OEM style. I wasn't happy I didn't get what I wanted, but I was happy they knew there was a problem and they fixed it. Ok, OEM adjusters it is.

I went for a ride this afternoon and noticed a pinging in my cylinder head! WTH? I turn back towards home and check the cam chain tension. Perfect! I then open up the valve covers. Wow! That sure is a lot of clearance on my exhaust valve!?!. Did the jam nut back off? Nope. I took the adjuster out and found this!!!

BTW, this engine has about 250 miles on it since the rebuild. I have great oil flow and am still using break in oil. This is my second fill up with Joe Gibbs break in oil.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 300
If your a Porsche guy then you have access to good adjusters. Even slightly worn part from a Porsche are better than Mike's. I might suggest replacing those stock adjusters with Porsche adjusters. I know this can be a PITA, needs engine pulled to get rocker box off the install the new adjusters, but worth the effort.
Did that bad adjuster hurt the valve stem?
Oh, good to hear Mike's is trying to fix a problem. Be nice if they could find a good source of Porsche style adjusters to supply with there new rocker arms. Those plastic parts didn't even sound good.
Leo

Hey Leo,

Yeah, I have used Porsche stuff. What is the diameter of the XS650 adjuster? I believe I have 8mm on my Porsche. They came in 7 & 8mm if IIRC. I can't find info on what ours are.

I'm not going to take the motor out again until winter, so I'll just get some stock VW adjusters for now. They'll screw right in from the top and get me through the summer.

Wow Leo, your quick! Thank you. That's just the info I needed.

Can't find my calipers anywhere. Maybe the boy has been into daddy's tool box....hmmm.

I have gotten the rockers from mikes and the first thing I did was to pitched the POS elephant feet adjusters that came with them and put in a set of Porsche adjuster.

Joe Gibbs break in oil?
Interesting choice. Years ago I had the privilege of hanging around that R&D department, before the fire and the end when they moved it to Toyota in CA. Seen JD Gibbs on a bicycle not a XS tho. LOL
basically that oil you put in your bike probably cost 10 million to develope.

Does your motor puff a little black smoke when you chop the throttle aggressively?

Posted via Mobile

I used it because a VERY well known Porsche engine builder coloaborated with Gibbs for a Porsche/ aircooled motor oil. I respect that builders opinion. The machinist that bored my cylinders for the XS recommended it too. It is the Driven racing oil. BR30 5w-30 break in oil.

I normally use Brad Penn, but that wasn't available to me when I needed it.

Picked up some stock VW adjusters at the local VW shop for $1 each. Rode it all day after I installed them!

Back