Shell #1 cam question

KJ790

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to pull my engine apart and I'm really tempted to put a cam in while it's apart. I have been looking and it looks like the Shell #1 cam is the best option for a low cost street cam. My question is, does it really make a noticeable difference at low RPMs? I simply don't rev this bike up when I'm riding it. It's not a race bike and when riding around I rarely ever rev it above 4,000 RPM. Will I notice enough of a difference below 4K to warrant the price of the cam? Anyone with this cam that can give me a little feedback?

Try reving that thing on up to 5 or 6 or7, and you might decide you don't need that cam. If you put in the cam, you probably need performance valve springs too.

Yeah, I know I don't need the cam, but who doesn't want more power at their disposal :bike: I come from a professional racing background and currently have 3 race bikes that rev to 14,000 RPM, but my XS is just my fun cruiser and I just hardly ever rev it up when I'm riding it. Maybe I'll just have to start cranking on it harder...

That cam is pretty mild. Good for street use. Gary Hoos recommends new springs. After all the ones you are running are 30+ years old. From what I'm told its pretty close to an XS1 cam but not quite as mild. Will you notice an increase in power at lower RPM's? It's hard to say. If I had to guess I would say probably just a little bit.

What are you pulling the motor apart for? If this is a high mileage motor, and you are doing 1 or 2 over pistons and rings with the cam it will probably seem like a whole new beast. If you are just pulling it apart to do a head gasket or something like that I doubt you notices that much of a difference.

I currently have a Shell #1 waiting on a motor to get done. I'll be running Hoos' 700cc pistons, 10.5:1 compression, Ti springs and a set of lectern carbs. It should scoot.

There are so many variables with these motors it's hard to say. What intake, carbs, exhaust, etc do you plan to run? All of this makes a difference. As always the sky is the limit, but it gets to a point, where do you stop?

That cam is pretty mild. Good for street use. Gary Hoos recommends new springs. After all the ones you are running are 30+ years old. From what I'm told its pretty close to an XS1 cam but not quite as mild. Will you notice an increase in power at lower RPM's? It's hard to say. If I had to guess I would say probably just a little bit.

What are you pulling the motor apart for? If this is a high mileage motor, and you are doing 1 or 2 over pistons and rings with the cam it will probably seem like a whole new beast. If you are just pulling it apart to do a head gasket or something like that I doubt you notices that much of a difference.

I currently have a Shell #1 waiting on a motor to get done. I'll be running Hoos' 700cc pistons, 10.5:1 compression, Ti springs and a set of lectern carbs. It should scoot.

There are so many variables with these motors it's hard to say. What intake, carbs, exhaust, etc do you plan to run? All of this makes a difference. As always the sky is the limit, but it gets to a point, where do you stop?

Thanks for the response. I picked the bike up for $500 and wanted to build a low budget project. I got it cleaned up and looking alright, but the compression was low and it burned a little oil. The bike has 28,000 miles on it so I'm guessing it probably had some rust in the cylinders from sitting at some point and the rings got damaged or something. I figured I would ride it until I had time to rebuild the engine. Well I put about 250 miles on it and she lost a cylinder, dumped the oil and it was all burned up so I'm guessing the inside isn't too pretty. I have a fresh set of cylinders, pistons, and a ported head that I just freshened up sitting in the garage, so that project is going to happen sooner than later.

I know that the bike is going to have way more power just with a fresh engine, but I figure if I'm gonna do a cam that now is the time, but at the same time I want to keep the build somewhat low cost. Right now I'm running the XS Performance 2-1 exhaust from Mike's XS, and stock carbs, though I'll probably ditch the stock carbs for something different. That PWK kit from Mike's looks pretty good for the money, at least it is more adjustable than the stupid stock carbs...

Beware of the PWK kit. You may want to do some research here on the forum first. Reviews are hit and miss. I have a kit sitting in a box that I'm going to install on a motor eventually just to try for shits and giggles, but I have heard quite a few problems. You may also want to look at MMM's kit at 650 central too.

With what you are doing to the motor, I'd say what the hell, it's just another 115 bucks.

Good luck with your project!

I run the shell # 1 For low end grunt you can't beat it,:D great for the street. I bought the Rd springs alum retainers and left out the umbrella pieces for a longer installed height less seat pressure but still 40Lbs over stock. Less wear on the cam. :D

Beware of the PWK kit. You may want to do some research here on the forum first. Reviews are hit and miss. I have a kit sitting in a box that I'm going to install on a motor eventually just to try for shits and giggles, but I have heard quite a few problems. You may also want to look at MMM's kit at 650 central too.

With what you are doing to the motor, I'd say what the hell, it's just another 115 bucks.

Good luck with your project!

Good to know, I've seen some hit or miss reviews on that carb kit, that's why I haven't bought it already. I might just leave the stock carbs there for now until I find a deal on some VM34's or something else that is known to be a decent carb. The head porting is biased completely towards low end power for street riding. The ports were actually decreased in size slightly to increase velocity, as well as reshaped for better flow. The reason why the Shell #1 cam is so appealing to me is that it seems to be a decent looking street cam with a tight lobe separation angle. Looking at the specs it looks like it would be a decent performing cam in the bottom end.

Back