Should I install new rings while its torn down?

pinstripe_chuck

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The plastic on my cam chain guide fell off and i was finding shavings in my oil filter, so i tore my engine down to replace it, i went ahead and took the cylinders off to replace the gaskets. While I have it apart should put rings on the pistons or are the old ones alright to reuse. Its got 80,000 miles. and if i do get new rings should i run a hone down the bores? Whats the break in procedure?

i would re-ring it, lap the valves, replace the cam chain, hone it, and measure everything to make sure it isn't out of tolerance.

rings and a cam chain aren't expensive so you might as well.

If it's got 80000 miles yes, hone the bore and have them measure it to see it's within tolerences. 80K and this is the first time it's been apart? amazing.

If it's got 80000 miles yes, hone the bore and have them measure it to see it's within tolerences. 80K and this is the first time it's been apart? amazing.

good point, that is amazing.

my 650 has 8000 miles on it and the top end is apart.
my 82 cb750 only had 6000 miles on it and had to be torn down.

As others said measure the pistons and bores. If you don't have the tools, take it to a shop and get things measured. At 80,000 miles, I bet things are worn very close to maximum limits.
A little shopping around you can find the parts, pistons and rings, gaskets set, cylinder boring. All for $300, If you don't shop around it may cost $600.
I found a set of second over NOS pistons $50 for a pair. Rings Around $50 each set. The boring cost $35 per hole.
It is not hard to rebuild an engine, The book covers it ok. And you get all sorts of help here.

Just checked on Mike's
Pistons $50 each $100
Rings $29 each $58
Gasket set $52
4 brass head washers $6
Three bond $8
Seal kit $40
Cam chain $45
Cam chain guide $29
Total $338.
There may be other things like a couple cltuch pushrod seals $4.50 each.
Any way, you can see that shopping around can save a few bucks. I did the rebuild for about half that.

Back